In a MIMO system, scattering is always an important problem since it is closely related to the channel capacity of system. In most of previous works, scattering was usually neglected so as to simplify the process of analysis. Therefore, it is really necessary to investigate and understand the scattering effect on capacity. To this end, scattering is taken into consideration in terms of channel capacity in this paper. From the antenna point of view, antenna element layout can be viewed as an optimization problem. To resolve this problem, a binary whale optimization algorithm (BWOA) is proposed. We investigate the effect of scattering environment on the capacity of a MIMO system and make comparison with an existing method in performance. The simulated results demonstrate that the nonuniform sampling method is able to efficiently improve the capacity of system even for poor scattering environment.
2. Paulraj, A. J., D. A. Gore, R. U. Nabar, and H. Bolcskei, "An overview of MIMO communications — A key to gigabit wireless," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 92, No. 2, 198-218, 2004.
3. Migliore, M., "On the role of the number of degrees of freedom of the field in MIMO channels," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, 620-628, 2006.
4. Gao, Y., A. J. H. Vinck, and T. Kaiser, "Massive MIMO antenna selection: Switching architectures, capacity bounds and optimal antenna selection algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 66, No. 5, 1346-1360, 2018.
5. Molisch, A. F. and M. Z. Win, "MIMO systems with antenna selection — An overview," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 1, 46-56, 2004.
6. Migliore, M. D., D. Pinchera, and F. Schettino, "Improving channel capacity using adaptive MIMO antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 11, 3481-3489, 2006.
7. Pinchera, D., J. W. Wallace, M. D. Migliore, and M. A. Jensen, "Experimental analysis of a wideband adaptive-MIMO antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 3, 908-913, 2008.
8. Oliveri, G., F. Caramanica, M. Migliore, and A. Massa, "Synthesis of nonuniform MIMO arrays through combinatorial sets," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 728-731, 2012.
9. Recioui, A., "Capacity optimization of MIMO wireless communication systems using a hybrid genetic-taguchi algorithm," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 71, No. 2, 1003-1019, 2013.
10. Recioui, A., "Application of a galaxy-based search algorithm to MIMO system capacity optimization," Arabian Journal for Science & Engineering, Vol. 41, No. 9, 3407-3414, 2016.
11. Recioui, A., "Application of the spiral optimization technique to antenna array design," Handbook of Research on Emergent Applications of Optimization Algorithms, IGI Global, 364-385, 2018.
12. Telatar, E., "Capacity of multi-antenna gaussian channels," Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies, Vol. 10, No. 6, 585-595, 1999.
13. Mirjalili, S. and A. Lewis, "The whale optimization algorithm," Advances in Engineering Software, Vol. 95, 51-67, 2016.