In this paper, a novel compact dual band-rejected ultra-wideband (UWB) multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) Vivaldi antenna is introduced and fabricated. The MIMO antenna with a small size of 26 × 28 mm2 contains a modified ground plane and two microstrip-slot balun structures. A T-slot is etched on the ground to achieve miniaturization and high isolation, and the simulated |S11| of -10 dB impedance bandwidth is from 2.7 to 10.9 GHz. An isolation of better than 15 dB is acquired over the UWB range (3.1-10.6 GHz). Meanwhile, by introducing two split ring resonator (SRR) slits on the ground and adding two split ring resonators (SRRs) close to the microstrip-slot balun structures, dual band rejection at both WLAN (5.15-5.85 GHz) and IEEE INSAT/Super-Extended C-band (6.7-7.1 GHz) can be achieved. The MIMO antenna has high gain and very low envelop correlation coefficient (ECC < 0.02). The measured results agree with the simulated ones, demonstrating that the UWB MIMO Vivaldi antenna is suitable for the UWB diversity applications.
2. Zhao, Y., F.-S. Zhang, L.-X. Cao, and D.-H. Li, "A compact dual band-notched MIMO diversity antenna for UWB wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 89, 161-169, 2019.
3. Liu, X.-L., Z.-D.Wang, Y.-Z. Yin, J. Ren, and J.-J.Wu, "A compact ultrawideband MIMO antenna using QSCA for high isolation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1497-1500, 2014.
4. Li, J., Q. Chu, and T. Huang, "A compact wideband MIMO antenna with two novel bent slits," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 482-489, Feb. 2012.
5. Ren, J., W. Hu, Y. Yin, and R. Fan, "Compact printed MIMO antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1517-1520, 2014.
6. Zhao, X., S. P. Yeo, and L. C. Ong, "Planar UWB MIMO antenna with pattern diversity and isolation improvement for mobile platform based on the theory of characteristic modes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 1, 420-425, Jan. 2018.
7. Saad, A. A. R. and H. A. Mohamed, "Conceptual design of a compact four-element UWB MIMO slot antenna array," Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 13, No. 2, 208-215, 2019.
8. Roshna, T. K., U. Deepak, and P. Mohanan, "Compact UWB MIMO antenna for tridirectional pattern diversity characteristics," Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, No. 14, 2059-2065, 2017.
9. Zhao, H., F.-S. Zhang, and C.-Y. Wang, "A compact UWB diversity antenna," Int. J. Antennas Propag., 1-6, 2014.
10. Tang, T. and K. Lin, "An ultrawideband MIMO antenna with dual band-notched function," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1076-1079, 2014.
11. Kang, L., H. Li, X. Wang, and X. Shi, "Compact offset microstrip-fed MIMO antenna for band-notched UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1754-1757, 2015.
12. Zhao, H., F.-S. Zhang, and X.-K. Zhang, "A compact band-notched Ultra-wideband spatial diversity antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, 19-26, 2014.
13. Gao, P., S. He, and X. Wei, "Compact printed UWB diversity slot antenna with 5.5-GHz band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 376-379, 2014.
14. Liu, L., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable UWB applications with band-notched characteristic," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 63, No. 5, 1917-1924, May 2015.
15. Gibson, P. J., "The vivaldi aerial," Proc. 9th Eur. Microw. Conf., 101-105, Brighton, UK, Oct. 1979.
16. Fei, P., Y. Jiao, and F. Zhang, "A miniaturized antipodal vivaldi antenna with improved radiation characteristics," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 127-130, 2011.