This paper presents a new type of vertically stacked substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filtering antenna. It is composed of an SIW bandpass filtering circuit and an antipodal linearly tapered slot antenna (ALTSA). The filtering circuit consists of two vertically stacked SIW cavity resonators which are coupled with each other by etching slot on the common metal layer. By introducing electric and magnetic mixed coupling structures, close-to-passband transmission zeros can be realized and flexibly adjustable. Due to the partially vertically stacked structure, the proposed filtering antenna also shows a compact physical size. For validation, two vertically stacked SIW filtering antennas operating at 30 GHz with transmission zero at the upper or lower side of the passband are designed, fabricated, and measured. Good agreement is observed between the measured and simulated results.
2. Lin, C.-K. and S.-J. Chung, "A compact filtering microstrip antenna with quasi-elliptic broadside antenna gain response," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 381-384, 2011.
3. Dhwaj, K., J. M. Kovitz, H. Tian, L. J. Jiang, and T. Itoh, "Half-mode cavity based planar filtering antenna with controllable transmission zeros," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, 833-836, 2018.
4. Hua, C., R. Li, Y. Wang, and Y. Lu, "Dual-polarized filtering antenna with printed jerusalem-cross radiator," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 9000-9005, 2018.
5. Lu, Y.-L., Y. Wang, S. Gao, C. Hua, and T. Liu, "Circularly polarized integrated filtering antenna with polarisation reconfigurability," IET Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, No. 15, 2247-2252, 2017.
6. Yusuf, Y., Cheng, H., and X. Gong, "A seamless integration of 3-D vertical filters with highly efficient slot antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 11, 4016-4022, 2011.
7. Cheng, H., Yusuf, Y., and X. Gong, "Vertically integrated three-pole filter/antennas for array applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 278-281, 2011.
8. Shi, J., X. Wu, Z. N. Chen, X. Qing, L. Lin, J. Chen, and Z.-H. Bao, "A compact differential filtering quasi-Yagi antenna with high frequency selectivity and low cross-polarization levels," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1573-1576, 2015.
9. Hua, C., X. Wu, N. Yang, and W. Wu, "Air-filled parallel-plate cylindrical modified Luneberg lens antenna for multiple-beam scanning at millimeter-wave frequencies," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 61, No. 1, 436-443, 2013.
10. Chu, Q.-X. and H. Wang, "A compact open-loop filter with mixed electric and magnetic coupling," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 56, No. 2, 431-439, 2008.
11. Yusuf, Y. and X. Gong, "Co-designed substrate-integrated waveguide filters with patch antennas," IET Antennas Propag.,, Vol. 7, No. 7, 493-501, 2013.