The goal of this paper is to design a dual band antenna for the integration of LTE-R 700-MHz band along with 5G (3.5 GHz) band applications for future advanced railway communication. A design study of the dual band antenna is proposed and discussed in detail. An ellipse-shaped ring patch is designed for the LTR-R 700-MHz band, and the 5G (3.5 GHz) band is added by keeping the circular patch in proximity to the feed line of the antenna to make it a stacked antenna configuration. Circular patches with varying dimensions are used to increase the bandwidth at 3.5-GHz band. The antenna has a size of 180 mm x 60 mm and is fabricated on an FR4 substrate with dielectric constant 4.4 (tanδ = 0.025). The observed bandwidth is approximately 100 MHz and 500 MHz for each frequency band respectively.
2. Dahlman, E., S. Parkvall, and J. Skold, 4G LTE/LTE-advanced for Mobile Broadband, Elsevier Ltd., 2016.
3. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and I. Ittipibon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Boston, London, 2001.
4. Yuan, S. H., T. Y. Hsieh, and J. L. Wang, "A multiband antenna for LTE (Long Term Evolution) applications," IEEE 4th Asia-Pacific Conference on Antenna and Propagation (APCAP), 409-410, 2015.
5. Chen, Z., A. D. Ganjara, and X. Che, "A dual-L antenna with a novel tuning technique for dual frequency applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 3, 402-403, 2002.
6. Li, P., K. M. Luk, and K. L. Lau, "A dual-feed dual-band L-probe patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 7, 2321-2323, 2005.
7. Chou, L. C. and K. L. Wong, "Uni-planar dual-band monopole antenna for 2.4/5GHz WLAN operation in the laptop computer," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 2, 3739-3741, 2007.
8. Mandal, M. K. and Z. N. Chen, "Compact dual-band and ultrawideband loop antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 8, 2774-2779, 2011.
9. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Wideband dual-frequency dual-polarized dipole-like antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 831-834, 2011.
10. Yan, S., P. J. Soh, and Vandenbosch, "Low-profile dual-band textile antenna with artificial magnetic conductor plane," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 12, 6487-6490, 2014.
11. Lin, D. B., J. H. Chou, S. O. Fu, and H. J. Li, "A compact dual-band printed antenna design for LTE operation in handheld device applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 1-9, 2014.
12. Hu, J. R., J. S. Li, and D. Wu, "A small planar antenna for 4G mobile phone application," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 1-7, 2016.
13. Cihangir, A., C. J. Panagamuwa, W. G. Whittow, G. Jacquemod, F. Gianesello, R. Pilard, and C. Luxey, "Dual-band 4G eyewear antenna and SAR implications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 4, 2085-2089, 2017.
14. Hasan, M. M., M. R. I. Faruque, and M. T. Islam, "Dual band metamaterial antenna for LTE/Bluetooth/WiMAX system," Nature Scientific Reports, 1-17, 2018.
15. Khan, R., A. Abdullah Al-Hadi, P. J. Soh, M. T. Ali, S. S. Al-Bawri, and Owais, "Design and optimization of a dual-band sub-6GHz four port mobile terminal antenna performance in the vicinity of user’s hand," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 85, 141-153, 2018.
16. Choi, H. Y., Y. Song, and Y. K. Kim, "Standards of future railway wireless communication in Korea," Recent Advances in Computer Engineering, Communications and Information Technology, 360-367, 2014.
17. Choi, J. K., H. Cho, H. S.Oh, K. H. Kim, M. J. Bhang, I. S. Yu, and H.G. Ryu, "Challenges of LTE high-speed railway network to coexist with LTE public safety network," International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology, ICACT, 524-528, 2015.