The extending applications for mobile computing have experienced immense progress over the previous decade. However, this has ultimately influenced the shortage of bandwidth. Therefore, to fulfill the consumers' demand, inexpensive antennas need to be uniquely designed for the next/fifth generation (5G) frequency spectrum. Consequently, this paper presents a novel antenna composed of inductors (L) or capacitors (C) on an air-substrate. Zinc (Zn) and copper (Cu) materials are utilized to fabricate the lumped LC resonator prototype. The effects of antenna's and substrate's thickness on resonant frequency or bandwidth have been studied. The finalized configuration engaged 1113 sq. mm area and operated at 28 GHz with approximately 3 GHz bandwidth. At resonant frequency, the system demonstrates peak gain and efficiency values of 10.6 dBi and 91%, respectively. The core objective of this paper is to report an antenna featuring simple and economical design along with premium results for 5G mobile terminals.
2. Zeng, Y. and R. Zhang, "Cost-effective millimeter-wave communications with lens antenna array," IEEE Wireless Communications, Vol. 24, 81-87, 2017.
3. Wang, Y., et al., "5G mobile: Spectrum broadening to higher-frequency bands to support high data rates," IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine, Vol. 9, No. 3, 39-46, 2014.
4. Balanis, C. A., Modern Antenna Handbook, John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
5. Matin, M., B. Sharif, and C. Tsimenidis, "Dual layer stacked rectangular microstrip patch antenna for ultra wideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 1, 1192-1196, 2007.
6. Croq, F. and A. Papiernik, "Stacked slot-coupled printed antenna," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 1, 288-290, 1991.
7. Huynh, T. and K.-F. Lee, "Single-layer single-patch wideband microstrip antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 31, 1310-1312, 1995.
8. Xiao, S., B.-Z. Wang, W. Shao, and Y. Zhang, "Bandwidth-Enhancing Ultralow-Profile Compact Patch Antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 3443-3447, 2005.
9. Lu, W.-J., Q. Li, S.-G.Wang, and L. Zhu, "Design approach to a novel dual-mode wideband circular sector patch antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, 4980-4990, 2017.
10. Liu, N.-W., L. Zhu, W.-W. Choi, and X. Zhang, "A low-profile aperture-coupled microstrip antenna with enhanced bandwidth under dual resonance," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, 1055-1062, 2017.
11. Liu, J., Q. Xue, H. Wong, H. W. Lai, and Y. Long, "Design and analysis of a low-profile and broadband microstrip monopolar patch antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, 11-18, 2013.
12. Liu, N.-W., L. Zhu, and W.-W. Choi, "A differential-fed microstrip patch antenna with bandwidth enhancement under operation of TM 10 and TM 30 modes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, 1607-1614, 2017.
13. Liu, J. and Q. Xue, "Broadband long rectangular patch antenna with high gain and vertical polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, 539-546, 2013.
14. Ding, C. and K.-M. Luk, "Low-profile magneto-electric dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1642-1644, 2016.
15. Li, M. and K.-M. Luk, "A differential-fed UWB antenna element with unidirectional radiation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, 3651-3656, 2016.
16. Mosallaei, H. and K. Sarabandi, "Antenna miniaturization and bandwidth enhancement using a reactive impedance substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 2403-2414, 2004.
17. Kamal, S. and A. A. Chaudhari, "Printed meander line MIMO antenna integrated with air gap, DGS and RIS: A low mutual coupling design for LTE applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 149-159, 2017.
18. Chattopadhyay, S., Trends in Research on Microstrip Antennas, 2017.
19. Alkurt, F. O. and M. Karaaslan, "Characterization of tunable electromagnetic band gap material with disordered cavity resonator for X band imaging applications by resistive devices," Optical and Quantum Electronics, Vol. 51, No. 8, 279, 2019.
20. Alkurt, F. O. and M. Karaaslan, "Pattern reconfigurable metasurface to improve characteristics of low profile antenna parameters," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, https://doi.org/10.1002/mmce.21790, 2019.
21. Bakır, M., et al., "Metamaterial characterization by applying different boundary conditions on triangular split ring resonator type metamaterials," International Journal of Numerical Modelling: Electronic Networks, Devices and Fields, Vol. 30, No. 5, e2188, 2017.
22. Sulyman, A. I., et al., "Radio propagation path loss models for 5G cellular networks in the 28 GHz and 38GHz millimeter-wave bands," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 9, 78-86, 2014.
23. Hong, W., et al., "Study and prototyping of practically large-scale mmWave antenna systems for 5G cellular devices," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 9, 63-69, 2014.
24. Esen, M., et al., "Investigation of electromagnetic and ultraviolet properties of nano-metal-coated textile surfaces," Applied Nanoscience, 1-11, 2019.
25., Agilent Advanced Design System, Santa Rose, CA: Keysight EEsof EDA.
26. Wadell, B. C., Transmission Line Design Handbook, Artech House, 1991.
27. Alley, G. D., "Interdigital capacitors and their application to lumped-element microwave integrated circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 18, No. 12, 1028-1033, 1970.
28. Bahl, I. J., Lumped Elements for RF and Microwave Circuits, Artech House, 2003.
29., CST Microwave Studio, LLC, US, Computer Simulation Technology Studio Suite.