In this paper, a novel meta-surface with polarization conversion characteristic in an ultra-wide band is proposed. Based on the principle of the reflected wave cancelation, the proposed meta-surface is distributed as a checkerboard to obtain an ultra-wideband radar cross section (RCS) reduction, resulting from the out-of-phase difference in normal incidence. The relationship between the polarization conversion ratio (PCR) and RCS reduction is investigated and verified by the simulation. Finally, a sample is fabricated and measured in an anechoic chamber. Compared to the metal board with same size, a 5 dB RCS reduction is achieved ranging from 3.7 GHz to 15.9 GHz, which indicates a fractional bandwidth of 124.5%. Moreover, the size of the unit cell is only 0.125λ0×0.125λ0×0.059λ0, where λ0 is corresponding to the lowest frequency, namely 3.7 GHz, indicating the merits of miniaturization and low profile. Experiment results are in good agreement with the simulated ones, which demonstrates the validity of the proposed strategy.
2. Han, Z. J., W. Song, and X. Q. Sheng, "Gain enhancement and RCS reduction for patch antenna by using polarization dependent EBG surface," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 1631-1634, 2017.
3. Li, W. Q., et al., "A novel low RCS microstrip antenna," 3th Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 495-498, Harbin, China, August 2014.
4. Dikmen, C. M., S. Cimen, and G. Cakir, "Planar octagonal-shaped UWB antenna with reduced radar cross section," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 6, 2946-2953, 2014.
5. Su, J. X., et al., "Wideband diffuse scattering and RCS reduction of microstrip antenna array based on coding metasurface," Electron. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 16, 1088-1090, 2017.
6. Zhang, J. J., et al., "RCS reduction of patch array antenna by electromagnetic band-gap structure," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1048-1051, 2012.
7. Shi, Y., et al., "Characteristic mode cancellation method and its application for antenna RCS reduction," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 9, 1784-1788, 2019.
8. Shi, Y., et al., "Design of low RCS antenna using antenna array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 10, 6484-6493, 2019.
9. Kundu, D., et al., "Design and analysis of printed lossy capacitive surfacebased ultrawideband low profile absorber," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 5, 3533-3538, 2019.
10. Zaki, B., et al., "Wideband RCS reduction using three different implementations of AMC structures," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 13, No. 5, 533-540, 2019.
11. Song, X. Y., Z. H. Yan, and T. L. Zhang, "Broadband AMC surface for radar cross section reduction," ICMMT, 2018.
12. Hong, T., et al., "RCS reduction and gain enhancement for the circularly polarized array by polarization conversion metasurface coating," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 1, 167-171, 2019.
13. Sun, S. Y., et al., "Ultrawideband high-efficiency 2.5-dimensional polarization conversion metasurface and its application in RCS reduction of antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 5, 881-885, 2019.
14. Chen, W. K., et al., "Broadband polarization conversion metasurface for radar cross section reduction," ICMMT, 2018.
15. Wang, J. X., et al., "RCS reduction of a microstrip patch based on broadband PRRS," ISAPE, 2018.
16. Zou, S. X., J. L. Wei, and X. Man, "Wideband RCS reduction of patch antenna using PRRS," Electron. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 8, 522-524, 2017.
17. Long, M., W. Jiang, and S. X. Gong, "Wideband RCS reduction using polarisation conversion metasurface and partially reflecting surface," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2534-2537, 2017.
18. Liu, Y., K. Li, Y. T. Jia, Y. W. Hao, S. X. Gong, and Y. J. Guo, "Wideband RCS reduction of a slot array antenna using polarisation conversion metasurfaces," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 1, 326-331, 2016.
19. Jia, Y. T., et al., "Broadband polarisation rotation reflective surfaces and their applications to RCS reduction," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 1, 179-188, 2016.
20. Deng, Z. H., et al., "A novel wideband low-RCS reflector by hexagon polarization rotation surfaces," IEE Access, Vol. 7, 131527-131533, 2019.
21. Liu, Z. S., Y. Liu, and S. X. Gong, "Gain enhanced circularly polarized antenna with RCS reduction based on metasurface," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 46856-46862, 2018.