A novel dual-frequency antenna with horizontally polarized (HP) omnidirectional radiation is presented in this paper. The antenna consists of four printed arched dipoles, four planar baluns and a four-way power splitter. The balun as well as the power splitter works as the feed network. By loading a transmission line resonator (TLR) as the near-field coupling parasitic element, the dual-frequency characteristics can be realized. After the design principle is stated, a sample antenna is manufactured and measured to prove the predicted performance of the proposed antenna. The measured results agree well with the predicted ones.
2. Lin, C.-C., et al., "A horizontally polarized omnidirectional printed antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3551-3556, Nov. 2006.
3. Fenn, C., et al., "Arrays of horizontally-polarized loop-fed slotted cylinder antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 33, No. 4, 375-382, Jan. 1985.
4. Li, W. W., et al., "Omnidirectional circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna with TOP-loaded alford loop for pattern diversity design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 8, 4246-4256, 2007.
5. Kim, D. S., et al., "A windmill-shaped loop antenna for polarization diversity," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. — Soc. Int. Symp., 361-364, Honoluu, HI, Jun. 2007.
6. Wei, K., et al., "A MNG-TL loop antenna array with horizontally polarized omnidirectional patterns," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 6, 2702-2710, Apr. 2012.
7. Wei, K., et al., "Design of a wideband horizontally polarized omnidirectional printed loop antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 49-52, Jan. 2012.
8. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 4th edition, Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2016.
9. Brachat, P. and C. Sabatier, "Wideband omnidirectional microstrip array," Electron Lett., Vol. 37, No. 6, 2-3, Feb. 2016.
10. Cai, X. Z., et al., "A compact broadband horizontally polarized omnidirectional antenna using planar folded dipole elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 2, 414-422, Feb. 2016.
11. Wang, Z. D., et al., "Design of a wideband horizontally polarized omnidirectional antenna with mutual coupling method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 7, 3311-3316, Jul. 2015.
12. Quan, X. L., et al., "A broadband dual-polarized omnidirectional antenna for base stations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 2, 943-947, Feb. 2013.
13. Zhang, H., et al., "Bandwidth enhancement of a horizontally polarized omnidirectional antenna by adding parasitic strips," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 16, 880-883, Sep. 2017.
14. Fan, K., et al., "Wideband horizontally polarized omnidirectional antenna with a conical beam for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 9, 4437-4448, Jun. 2018.
15. Liu, Y., et al., "Low-profile omnidirectional dual-polarised antenna for 2.4GHz WLAN applications," Electron Lett., Vol. 50, No. 14, 975-976, Jul. 2014.
16. Huang, H., et al., "Broadband dual-polarized omnidirectional antenna for 2G/3G/LTE/WiFi applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 576-579, Jul. 2015.
17. Ziolkwski, R. W., et al., "Metamaterial-inspired engineering of antennas," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 99, No. 10, 1720-1731, Oct. 2011.
18. Khaleel, H. R., et al., "A compact polyimide-based UWB antenna for flexible electronics," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 564-567, May 2012.
19. Li, R. L., et al., "Equivalent-circuit analysis of a broadband printed dipole with adjusted integrated balun and an array for base station applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 7, 2180-2184, May 2009.
20. Gupta, K. C., R. Garg, I. Bahl, and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Line and Slotlines, 2th edition, Artech House, London, Boston, USA, 2016.
21. Janaswamy, R., et al., "Characteristic impedance of a wide slotline on lowpermittivity substrates," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 34, No. 8, 900-902, Aug. 1986.
22. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineeing, 4th edition, John Wiley & Sons, New York, USA, 2011.
23. Makimoto, M. and S. Yamashita, Microwave Resonators and Filters for Wireless Communication: Theory, Design and Application, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2001.
24. Luo, P., et al., "Novel multiband/broadband horizontally polarized omnidirectional antennas," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI) 2016, Jul. 2016.
25. Ahn, C.-H., et al., "A dual-frequency omnidirectional antenna for polarization diversity of MIMO and wireless communication applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 966-969, Aug. 2009.
26. Ando, A., et al., "2.4/5-GHz dual-band vertically/horizontally dual-polarized omnidirectional antennas for WLAN base station," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium 2008, Jul. 2008.
27. Lai, J., et al., "A dual-band dual-polarized omnidirectional antenna for 2G/3G/LTE indoor system applications," IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing, Communications and Computing (ICSPCC) 2018, Sep. 2018.