A novel and compact CPW fed triband antenna suitable to support WLAN and WiMAX communications in 2.4/3.5/5.5 GHz bands is reported. The 5.5 GHz band extends from 4.9 to 5.94 GHz. So the proposed antenna can support the use of 4.94-4.99 GHz band allotted for fixed and mobile service (except aeronautical mobile service) for use in support of public safety and 5.85-5.925 GHz band for Dedicated Short-Range Communications (DSRC) services in the Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) radio service. Metallic radiating stub extending from the feed is used to excite the resonance at 2.4 GHz. An open slot in the stub and a pair of open slots in ground plane are used to excite the other resonances. An arc shaped parasitic element is also included in the design for improved radiation performance. The proposed antenna geometry is developed on FR4 glass epoxy substrate with relative permittivity 3.8 and loss tangent 0.02. The geometry is developed and optimized using High Frequency Structure Simulator and experimentally validated the results. Performance comparison of the proposed antenna with similar antennas in literature is presented. Measured radiation patterns and gain are also included in this paper.
2. Amendment of Parts 2 and 90 of the Federal Communication Commission’s Rules to Allocate the 5.850–5.925 GHz Band to the Mobile Service for Dedicated Short Range Communications of Intelligent Transportation Services, released on June 11, 1998.
3. Kumar, A. and A. P. S. Pharwaha, "Triple band fractal antenna for radio navigation and fixed satellite services using dragon fly optimization," Adv. Electromagnetics, Vol. 8, No. 3, 43-49, June 2019.
4. Li, L., X. Zhang, X. Yin, and L. Zhou, "A compact triple-band printed monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 1853-1855, 2016.
5. Zhi, R., M. Han, J. Bai, W. Wu, and G. Liu, "Miniature multiband antenna for WLAN and X-band satellite communication applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 75, 13-18, 2018.
6. Wu, T., X.-W. Shi, P. Li, and H. Bai, "Triband microstrip fed monopole antenna with dual polarization characteristics for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 25, 1597-1598, 2013.
7. Brar, R. S., K. Saurav, D. Sarkar, and K. V. Srivastava, "A triple band circular polarized monopole antenna for GNSS/UMTS/LTE," Microwave and Opt. Techno. Lett., Vol. 59, No. 2, 298-304, February 2017.
8. Patel, R., T. Upadhyaya, A. Desai, and M. Palandoken, "Low profile multiband meander antenna for LTE/WiMAX/WLAN and INSAT-C application," Int. J. Electron Comm., 90-98, 2019.
9. Rajeshkumar, V. and S. Raghavan, "A compact metamaterial inspired triple band antenna for reconfigurable WLAN/WiMAX applications," Int. J. Electron Comm., 274-280, 2015.
10. Ali, T., M. M. Kaleeq, and R. C. Biradar, "A multiband reconfigurable slot antenna for wireless applications," Int. J. Electron Comm., 273-280, 2018.
11. Ali, T., K. D. Prasad, and R. C. Biradar, "A miniaturized slotted multiband antenna for wireless applications," J. Comp. Electomagnetics, 1056-1070, 2018.
12. Salih, A. A. and M. S. Sharawi, "A dual-band highly miniaturized patch antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 1783-1786, 2016.
13. Gautam, A. K., A. Bisht, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A wideband antenna with defective ground plane for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Int. J. Electron Comm., 354-358, 2016.
14. Rajalakshmi, P. and N. Gunavathi, "Compact complementary folded triangle split ring resonator triband mobile handset planar antenna for voice and Wi-Fi applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 91, 253-264, 2019.
15. Singh, G. and A. P. Singh, "On the design of planar antenna using Fibonacci word fractal geometry in support of public safety," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput Aided Eng., Vol. 29, e21554, 1-7, 2018.
16. Desai, A., T. Upadhyaya, and M. Palandoken, "Dual band slotted transparent resonator for wireless local area network applications," Microwave and Opt. Techno. Lett., 1-6, 2018.
17. Desai, A., T. Upadhyaya, M. Palandoken, and C. Gocen, "Dual band transparent antenna for wireless MIMO system applications," Microwave and Opt. Techno. Lett., 1-12, 2019.
18. Anil Kumar, C. V., V. A. Bensi, and B. Paul, "A novel printed antenna for WLAN applications at 2.45 GHz," ICGITS, 2013.
19. Huang, D. and Z. Du, "Compact nine-band antenna for 4G/5G smartphones," Int. J RF Microw. Comput Aided Eng., Vol. 29, e21575, 1-9, 2019.