Partitioning large arrays into subarrays can reduce system cost. In this paper, we use identical subarrays to partition a large rectangular aperture. The periodical structure in a large array is broken down by changing the orientations of the subarrays. In each subarray, the element positions are optimized by particle swarm optimization (PSO) to obtain low sidelobe levels. In order to reduce the coupling among the elements, the minimum element distance measured in Euclidean space is restricted in the procedure of optimization. And a modified PSO is proposed to solve the optimization problem with this constraint. Better results can be obtained than the element distance constraint measured in Chebyshev space. This simple but efficient subarray design method is demonstrated through several numerical simulations.
2. Wang, H., D. G. Fang, and Y. L. Chow, "Grating lobe reduction in a phased array of limited scanning," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, 1581-1586, Jun. 2008.
3. Gregory, M. D., F. A. Namin, and D. H. Werner, "Exploiting rotational symmetry for the design of ultra-wideband planar phased array layouts," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, 176-184, Jan. 2013.
4. Haupt, R. L., "Optimized weighting of uniform subarrays of unequal sizes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, 1207-1210, Apr. 2007.
5. Mailloux, R. J., S. G. Santarelli, and T. M. Roberts, "Wideband arrays using irregular (polyomino) shaped subarrays," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 18, 1019-1020, 2006.
6. Isernia, T., M. D’Urso, and O. Bucci, "A simple idea for an effective sub-arraying of large planar source," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 169-172, 2009.
7. Xiong, Z. Y., Z. H. Xu, S. W. Chen, and S. P. Xiao, "Subarray partition in array antenna based on the algorithm X," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 906-909, 2013.
8. Chen, K., X. Yun, Z. He, and C. Han, "Synthesis of sparse planar arrays using modified real genetic algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, 1067-1073, Apr. 2007.
9. Su, T. and H. Ling, "Array beamforming in the presence of a mounting tower using genetic algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 6, 2011-2019, Jun. 2005.
10. Ferreira, J. A. and F. Ares, "Pattern synthesis of conformal arrays by the simulated annealing technique," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, No. 14, 1187-1189, Jul. 1997.
11. Lee, K. C. and J. Y. Jhang, "Application of particle swarm algorithm to the optimization of unequally spaced antenna arrays," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2001-2012, 2006.
12. Liu, D., Q. Feng, W.-B. Wang, and X. Yu, "Synthesis of unequally spaced antenna arrays by using inheritance learning particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 205-221, 2011.
13. Oliveri, G. and A. Massa, "GA-enhanced ADS-based approach for array thinning," IET Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, No. 3, 305-315, Feb. 2011.
14. Liu, Y., P. You, C. Zhu, X. Tan, and Q. H. Liu, "Synthesis of sparse or thinned linear and planar arrays generating reconfigurable multiple real patterns by iterative linear programming," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 155, 27-38, 2016.
15. Abdelmadjid, R., "Optimization of antenna arrays using different strategies based on Taguchi method," Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, Vol. 39, No. 2, 935-944, 2014.
16. Abdelmadjid, R., "Application of the spiral optimization technique to antenna array design," Handbook of Research on Emergent Applications of Optimization Algorithms, IGI Global, 2018.
17. Abdelmadjid, R., "Design and thinning of linear and planar antenna arrays using a binary teaching learning optimizer," Acta Physic Polonica A, Vol. 130, No. 1, 7-8, 2016.
18. Robinson, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 2, 397-407, Feb. 2004.