A novel compact microstrip lowpass filter with ultra-wide stopband characteristic using square ring loaded resonators is proposed. A microstrip high impedance main transmission line loaded with five square ring loaded resonators is adopted in the design of the filter. Owing to the adoption of the square ring structure, the filter achieves compact size and ultra-wide stopband. A demonstration filter with 3 dB cutoff frequency at 0.72 GHz has been designed, fabricated and measured. Results indicate that the proposed filter is able to suppress the 19th harmonic response referred to a suppression degree of 15 dB, together with a small size of 0.054λg×0.070λg, where λg is the guided wavelength at 0.72 GHz.
2. Abdipour, A., A. Nouritabar, A. Abdipour, H. Shamsi, and S. A. Ahmadi, "A miniaturized microstrip lowpass filter with sharp skirt performance and wide stopband utilizing modified hairpin resonator with long straight slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 78, 83-92, 2017.
3. Li, J.-L., S.-W. Qu, and Q. Xue, "Compact microstrip lowpass filter with sharp roll-off and wide stop-band," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 2, 110-111, 2009.
4. Ma, K. X. and K. S. Yeo, "New ultra-wide stopband lowpass filter using transformed radial stubs," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 3, 604-611, 2011.
5. Wei, X. B., P. Wang, M. Q. Liu, and Y. Shi, "Compact wide-stopband lowpass filter using stepped impedance hairpin resonator with radial stubs," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 15, 862-863, 2011.
6. Velidi, V. K. and S. Sanyal, "Sharp roll-off lowpass filter with wide stopband using stub-loaded coupled-line hairpin unit," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 6, 301-303, 2011.
7. Wei, F., X.-W. Shi, B. Li, Q. L. Huang, and X. H. Wang, "Design of a compact microstrip low-pass filter using defected ground structure," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 12, 3157-3160, 2008.
8. Rekha, T. K., P. Abdulla, P. M. Jasmine, and P. M. Raphika, "Improved frequency response of microstrip lowpass filter using defected ground structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 81, 31-40, 2018.
9. Wang, J. P., L. Ge, Y.-X. Guo, and W. Wu, "Miniaturised microstrip lowpass filter with broad stopband and sharp roll-off," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, 573-575, 2010.