The available polarizers either cannot afford gigawatt-class high-power microwave applications or are large in length. In this letter, a novel grooved polarizer is proposed. The grooves are proposed to be created in an over-mode circular waveguide to improve the power capacity and bandwidth. Moreover, the symmetric elliptical grooves are adopted to suppress high-order modes and realize the desired phase difference. An X-band polarizer prototype is designed and manufactured with length of 91 mm. Simulated results show that the power capacity of the polarizer is more than 1.5 GW. Measured results in accordance with simulations show that the axial ratio is less than 3 dB from 8.6 to 12.2 GHz, with relative bandwidth of 34.6%. The measured return losses are better than -12.7 dB in the same frequency range.
2. Huang, J. and J. A. Encinar, Reflectarray Antennas, 2nd Ed., Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2007.
3. Subbarao, B. and V. F. Fusco, "Compact coaxial-fed CP polarizer," IEEE Antennas and Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 3, 145-147, 2004.
4. Bertin, G., B. Piovano, L. Accatino, and M. Mongiardo, "Full-wave design and optimization of circular waveguide polarizers with elliptical irises," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 50, 1077-1083, 2002.
5. Hung, P. H., W. Y. Chiang, and Y. C. Hsieh, "High performance and high power circularly polarized horn antenna for K-band microwave processing systems," Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 90, No. 1, 014707, 2019.
6. Kim, I., J. M. Kovitz, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Enhancing the power capabilities of the stepped septum using an optimized smooth sigmoid profile," IEEE Antennas Propag. M., Vol. 56, No. 5, 16-42, 2014.
7. Wang, S. W., C. H. Chien, C. L. Wang, and R. B. Wu, "A circular polarizer designed with a dielectric septum loading," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 7, 1719-1723, 2004.
8. Zhang, L., C. R. Donaldson, and W. He, "Design and measurement of a polarization convertor based on a truncated circular waveguide," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 45, 345103, 2012.
9. Chang, C., S. Church, S. G. Tantawi, P. Voll, M. Sieth, and K. Devaraj, "Theory and experiment of a compact waveguide dual circular polarizer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 211-225, 2012.
10. Yoneda, N., M. Miyazaki, H. Matsumura, and M. Yamato, "A design of novel grooved circular waveguide polarizers," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 48, 2446-2452, 2000.
11. Yoneda, N., M. Miyazaki, T. Horie, and H. Satou, "Mono-grooved circular waveguide polarizers," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 821-824, Seattle, WA, USA, 2002.
12. Shi, X. B., "Design for Ka-band couple circular polarization feed being possessed of receive and transmit,", Graduate School of Xi’an University of Technology, Xi’an, 2010.