A 16-tupling frequency system for millimeter-wave generation using cascaded arrangement of parallel Mach-Zehnder modulators is presented in this paper. Parallel non-ideal Mach-Zehnder modulators are used to realize a Mach-Zehnder modulator (MZM) with an ideal splitting ratio of 0.5. Hence, parallel MZMs work as a modulator with ultra-high extinction ratio. A 5 GHz radio frequency signal is 16-tupled to 80 GHz with optical sideband suppression ratio of 64 dB and radio frequency spurious sideband suppression ratio of 31 dB respectively. The system has radio frequency spurious sideband suppression ratio ≥ 10 dB for modulation range of 2.79 to 2.86. Further, optical sideband suppression and radio frequency spurious sideband suppression ratios are independent of extinction ratio of MZMs.
2. Jia, Z., J. Yu, G. Ellinas, and G. Chang, "Key enabling technologies for optical-wireless networks: Optical millimeter-wave generation, wavelength reuse, and architecture," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 25, No. 11, 3452-3471, Nov. 2007.
3. Yan, J., A. Liang, F. Xin, and Q. Liu, "An optical microwave generator based on stimulated An optical microwave generator based on stimulated," Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, OSA Technical Digest (online) (Optical Society of America, 2018), JW2A.181, 2018.
4. Zhang, C., L. Wang, and K. Qiu, "Proposal for all-optical generation of multiple-frequency millimeter-wave signals for RoF system with multiple base stations using FWM in SOA ," Opt. Express, Vol. 19, 13957-13962, 2011.
5. Wang, T., M. Chen, H. Chen, and S. Xie, "Millimetre-wave signal generation using FWM effect in SOA," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 1, 36-38, Jan. 4, 2007.
6. Stohr, R. H., A. Malcoci, and D. Jager, "Optical heterodyne millimeter-wave generation using 1.55-/spl mu/m traveling-wave photodetectors," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 10, 1926-1933, Oct. 2001.
7. Browning, C., A. Delmade, Y. Lin, D. H. Geuzebroek, and L. P. Barry, "Optical heterodyne millimeter-wave analog radio-over-fiber with photonic integrated tunable lasers," Optical Fiber Communication Conference (OFC) 2019, OSA Technical Digest (Optical Society of America, 2019), W1I.4, 2019.
8. Li, X., J. Xiao, Y. Xu, and J. Yu, "QPSK vector signal generation based on photonic heterodyne beating and optical carrier suppression," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 7, No. 5, 1-6, Oct. 2015.
9. Chen, L., Y. Pi, H. Wen, and S. Wen, "All-optical mm-wave generation by using direct-modulation DFB laser and external modulator," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, 1265-1267, 2007.
10. Zhu, Z., S. Zhao, W. Zheng, W. Wang, and B. Lin, "Filterless frequency 12-tupling optical millimeter-wave generation using two cascaded dual-parallel Mach-Zehnder modulators," Appl. Opt., Vol. 54, 9432-9440, 2015.
11. He, Y., Y. Li, Y. Cai, X. Zhang, J. Liu, J. Xiao, S. Chen, and D. Fan, A full-duplex 100-GHz radio-over-fiber communication system based on frequency quadrupling, Vol. 175, 148-153, Optik, 2018.
12. Yu, S., W. Gu, A. Yang, T. Jiang, and C. Wang, "A frequency quadrupling optical mm-Wave generation for hybrid fiber-wireless systems," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 31, No. 12, 797-803, Dec. 2013.
13. Mohamed, M., X. Zhang, B. Hraimel, and K. Wu, "Frequency sixupler for millimeter-wave over fiber systems," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, 10141-10151, 2008.
14. Ma, J., X. Xin, J. Yu, C. Yu, K. Wang, H. Huang, and L. Rao, "Optical millimeter wave generated by octupling the frequency of the local oscillator," J. Opt. Netw., Vol. 7, 837-845, 2008.
15. Li, X., S. Zhao, Z. Zhu, B. Gong, X. Chu, Y. Li, J. Zhao, and Y. Liu, "An optical millimeter-wave generation scheme based on two parallel dual-parallel Mach-Zehnder modulators and polarization multiplexing," Journal of Modern Optics, Vol. 62, No. 18, 1502-1509, 2015.
16. Chen, Y., A. Wen, J. Guo, L. Shang, and Y. Wang, "A novel optical mm-wave generation scheme based on three parallel Mach-Zehnder modulators," Opt. Commun., Vol. 284, No. 5, 1159-1169, 2011.
17. Zhu, Z., S. Zhao, Y. Li, X. Chu, X. Wang, and G. Zhao, "A radio-over-fiber system with Frequency 12-tupling optical millimeter-wave generation to overcome chromatic dispersion," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 49, No. 11, 919-922, 2013.
18. Baskaran, M. and R. Prabakaran, "Optical millimeter wave signal generation with frequency 16-tupling using cascaded MZMs and no optical filtering for radio over fiber system," Journal of the European Optical Society-Rapid Publications, Vol. 14, 13, 2018.
19. Dar, A. B. and F. Ahmad, "A full-duplex 40GHz radio-over-fiber transmission system based on frequency octupling," Optical and Quantum Electronics, Vol. 51, 324, 2019.