A novel multifrequency printed monopole antenna applied to GSM, WLAN, and WiMAX standards in laptop devices is developed. The novelty of the proposed monopole antenna is the simple design without using any reactive components, expensive substrate, or any additional hardware to operate in multi-band frequencies for laptop applications. It is noteworthy that the dimensions of the proposed antenna structure is only 0.105λ × 0.05λ, at lower resonating frequency 1.8 GHz, thus attaining a height of only 9 mm above the system ground. This antenna mainly incorporates an `F'-shaped strip and a `C'-shaped strip together printed on an FR-4 substrate. The coaxial feeding results in the generation of three bands with measured impedance bandwidth spanned in the range of (1.74-1.87 GHz) in lower band (fl), (2.40-2.50 GHz) in a medium band (fm), and (5.12-6.06 GHz) in upper band (fu). Furthermore, the aforementioned antenna exhibits excellent radiation performances including gain around 4-5 dBi followed by efficiency greater than 80% in all the operating bands. The simulated and measured results are found in good agreement which demonstrates the applicability of proposed antenna for GSM1800/WLAN/WiMAX applications in laptop devices.
2. Su, S.-W., "Very-low-profile, small-sized, printed monopole antenna for WLAN notebook computer applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 82, 51-57, 2019.
3. Su, S.-W., "Capacitor-inductor-loaded, small-sized loop antenna for WLAN notebook computers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 71, 179-188, 2018.
4. Chien, H.-Y., C.-Y.-D. Sim, and C.-H. Lee, "Dual-band meander monopole antenna for WLAN operation in laptop computer," IEEE Antenna Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 694-697, 2013.
5. Bartwal, P., A. K. Gautam, A. K. Singh, B. K. Kanaujia, and K. Rambabu, "Design of compact multi-band meandered-line antenna for global positioning/wireless local area network/worldwide interopeability for microwave access band applications in laptop/tablets," IET Microw Antenna P, Vol. 10, No. 15, 1618-1624, 2016.
6. Hu, C.-L., D.-L. Haung, H. L. Kuo, C.-F. Yang, C.-L. Liao, and S.-T. Lin, "Compact multibranch inverted-F antenna to be embedded in a laptop computer for LTE/WWAN/IMT-E applications," IEEE Antenna Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 838-841, 2010.
7. Pazin, L. and Y. Leviatan, "Inverted-F laptop antenna with enhanced bandwidth for Wi-Fi/Wi-MAX applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 3, 1065-1068, 2011.
8. Hu, C.-L., W. Feng, Y.-E. Wu, and C.-F. Yang, "A compact multiband inverted-F antenna for LTE/WWAN/WiMAX/WLAN operations in the laptop computer," IEEE Antenna Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1169-1173, 2010.
9. Sim, C.-Y.-D., H.-Y. Chien, and C.-H. Lee, "Uniplanar antenna design with adhesive ground plane for laptop WLAN operations," IEEE Antenna Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 33-340, 2014.
10. Sim, C.-Y.-D., C.-C. Chen, X. Y. Zhang, and Y.-L. Lee, Very small-size uniplanar printed monopole antenna for dual-band WLAN laptop computer applications, Vol. 65, No. 6, 2916-2922, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 2017.
11. Liu, H.-W., S.-Y. Lin, and C.-F. Yang, "Compact inverted-F antenna with meander shorting strip for laptop computer WLAN applications," IEEE Antenna Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 2011.
12. Kulkarni, J. and R. Seenivasan, "A novel, very low profile, dual band, inverted `E’ monopole antenna for wireless application in laptop computer," IEICE Electron Expr., Vol. 16, 1-6, 2019.
13. Chen, S.-C., M.-K. Wu, C.-W. Chiang, and M.-S. Lin, "3.5-GHz four-element MIMO antenna system for 5G laptops with a large screen-to-body ratio," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, 2019, DOI: 10.1080/09205071.2019.1693911.
14. Chen, S.-C., J.-Y. Sze, and K.-J. Chuang, "Isolation enhancement of small-size WLAN MIMO antenna array for laptop computer application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, 2016, DOI: 10.1080/09205071.2016.1277958.
15. Kulkarni, J. and R. Seenivasan, "Design and development of novel monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX/MIMO applications in the laptop Computers," Circuit World, Vol. 45, No. 4, 257-267, 2019.
16. Meng, F. and S. Sharma, "A single feed dual-band (2.4GHz/5GHz) miniaturized patch antenna for wireless local area network (WLAN) communications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, 2016, DOI: 10.1080/09205071.2016.1251854.
17. Liu, W.-C., P.-W. Chen, and C.-C. Liu, "Triple-band planar monopole antenna for DMB/WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5-6, 653-661, 2010.
18. Wu, Y.-J., B.-H. Sun, J.-F. Li, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Triple-band omni-directional antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 477-484, 2007.
19. Shu, P. and Q. Feng, "Design of a compact quad-band hybrid antenna for compass/WiMAX/WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 585-598, 2013.
20. CST-Computer imulation Technology Studio Suite, 2017, , https://www.cst.com2017.