In this work, a micro displacement sensor based on dual micro-cavities coupled to a photonic crystal waveguide is proposed. The defects are introduced to create a sharp resonance in the structure which makes it useful for detecting micro displacement changes. The sensing principle is based on the change of the output signal transmission with the change of the displacement of a moving part compared to a fixed part of sensor structure. The proposed structure reached a good sensitivity of 9.52a-1.
2. Goyal, A. K., H. S. Duttaa, and S. Pal, "Recent advances and progress in photonic crystal based gas sensors ," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 50, No. 20, 203001, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6463/aa68d3.
3. Cao, T., Y.-L. D. Ho, P. J. Heard, L. P. Barry, A. E. Kelly, and M. J. Cryan, "Fabrication and measurement of a photonic crystal waveguide integrated with a semiconductor optical amplifier," Journal of the Optical Society of America B, Vol. 26, No. 4, 768-777, April 2009.
4. Cao, T., M. J. Cryan, Y.-L. D. Ho, I. J. Craddock, and C. J. Railton, "Fast-light based pulse compression in 2-D photonic crystal waveguides," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 25, No. 9, 2590-2598, September 2007.
5. Cao, T., M. J. Cryan, P. S. Ivanov, D. Ho, B. Ren, I. J. Craddock, J. M. Rorison, and C. J. Railton, "Modeling of chirped pulse propagation through a mini-stop band in a two-dimensional photonic crystal waveguide," Journal of the Optical Society of America B, Vol. 24, No. 7, 1575-1583, July 2007.
6. Levy, O., B. Z. Steinberg, M. Nathan, and A. Boag, "Ultrasensitive displacement sensing using photonic crystal waveguides," photonic crystal waveguides, Vol. 86, No. 10, 104102-104104, 2005.
7. Xu, Z., L. Cao, C. Gu, Q. He, and G. Jin, "Micro-displacement sensor based on line-defect resonant cavity in photonic crystal," Optics Express, Vol. 14, No. 1, 298-305, 2006.
8. Yang, D., H. Tian, and Y. Ji, "Microdisplacement sensor based on high-Q nanocavity in slot photonic crystal," Optical Engineering, Vol. 50, No. 5, 054402, May 2011.
9. Olyaee, S. and M. Azizi, "Micro-displacement sensor based on high sensitivity photonic crystal," Photonic Sensors, Vol. 4, No. 3, 220-224, 2014.
10. De Vlaminck, I., J. Roels, D. Taillaert, D. van Thourhout, R. Baets, L. Lagae, and G. Borghs, "Detection of nanomechanical motion by evanescent light wave coupling," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 90, 233116, 2007.
11. Lee, C. and J. Thillaigovindan, "Optical nano mechanical sensor using a silicon photonic crystal cantilever embedded with a nanocavity resonator," Applied Optics, Vol. 48, 1797-1803, 2009.
12. Lee, C., R. Radhakrishnan, C. C. Chen, J. Li, J. Thillaigovindan, and N. Balasubramanian, "Design and modeling of a nano mechanical Sensor using silicon photonic crystals," Journal of Light Wave Technology, Vol. 26, 839-846, 2008.
13. Lin, H., Z. Luo, T. Gu, L. C. Kimerling, W. Kazumi, A. Agarwal, and J. Hu, "Mid-infrared integrated photonics on silicon: A perspective," Nanophotonics, Vol. 7, No. 2, 393-420, 2018.
14. Cao, T., L. Fang, Y. Cao, N. Li, Z. Fan, and Z. Tao, "Dynamically reconfigurable topological edge state in phase change photonic crystals," Elsevier Science Bulletin, Vol. 64, 814-822, 2019.
15. Tyoub, H., A. Hocin, and A. Harhouz, "Mid-infrared refractive index sensor based on 2D photonic crystal coupled cavity-two waveguides," Indtrumentation Mesure Metrologie, Vol. 18, No. 2, 165-169, 2019.
16. Qiu, M., "Effective index method for heterostructure-slab-waveguide-based two dimensional photonic crystal," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 81, 1163, 2002.
17. Zouache, T., A. Hocini, and X. Wang, "Cavity-coupled photonic crystal waveguide as highly sensitive platform for pressure sensing," Optik --- International Journal for Light and Electron Optics, Vol. 172, 97-106, 2018.
18. Ho, D. Y. L., T. Cao, S. Pavel, M. J. I. Cryan, I. J. Craddock, C. J. Railton, and J. G. Rarity, "Three-dimensional FDTD simulation of micro-pillar microcavity geometries suitable for efficient single-photon sources," IEEE J. Quantum Electronics (JQE), Vol. 43, 462, 2007.