This paper proposes a miniaturized monopole ultra-wideband antenna with single-frequency rejection. The recommended antenna size is reduced from 58 × 54 mm2 to 32 × 54 mm2 by the half-cut method. The bandgap design is achieved by placing a dual mushroom type electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structure on the side of a coplanar waveguide feeding line. The equivalent circuit and surface current distribution were used to analyze and explain the effects of mushroom-like EBG cells and the principle of the half-cut method. Both the prototype antenna and the proposed antenna have been fabricated and tested. From the measurement results, the proposed antenna exhibits good band-stop characteristics and can reject the wireless LAN interference band (5.2 and 5.8 GHz bands). Furthermore, the proposed antenna has considerable gain over the entire operating frequency band except for the notch band.
2. Ojaroudi, M., G. Kohneshahri, and J. Noory, "Small modified monopole antenna for UWB application," IET Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 5, 863, 2009.
3. Sahoo, S., et al., "Design of compact UWB monopole planar antenna with modified partial ground plane," Microwave & Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 3, 578-583, 2018.
4. Avez, S. and R. W. Aldhaheri, "A Very Compact and Low Profile UWB Planar Antenna with WLAN Band Rejection," Scientific World Journal, Vol. 2016, 1-7, 2016.
5. Liao, X. J., et al., "UWB antenna with dual narrow band notches for lower and upper WLAN bands," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 24, 1593, 2010.
6. Wang, J., et al., "Trapezoid UWB antenna with dual band-notched characteristics for WiMAX/WLAN bands," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 11, 685-686, 2013.
7. Kim, C., et al., "A compact 5 GHz WLAN notched bluetooth/UWB antenna," 2010 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Toronto, ON, Canada, 2010.
8. Oraizi, H., A. Amini, and M. Karimimehr, "Design of miniaturized UWB log-periodic end-fire antenna using several fractals with WLAN band-rejection," IET Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 2, 193-202, 2016.
9. Tang, Z., R. Lian, and Y. Yin, "Differential-fed UWB patch antenna with triple band-notched characteristics," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 22, 1728-1730, 2015.
10. Yadav, S., et al., "Design of band-rejected UWB planar antenna with integrated Bluetooth band," IET Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 14, 1528-1533, 2016.
11. Ghadimi, N. and N. Ojaroudi, "UWB small slot antenna with WLAN frequency band-stop function," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 21, 1317-1318, 2013.
12. Li, T., et al., "Design of compact UWB band-notched antenna by means of electromagnetic-bandgap structures," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 11, 608-609, 2012.
13. Gheethan, A. A. and D. E. Anagnostou, "Dual band-reject UWB antenna with sharp rejection of narrow and closely-spaced bands," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 4, 2071-2076, April 2012.
14. Siddiqui, J. Y., C. Saha, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Compact dual-SRR-loaded UWB monopole antenna with dual frequency and wideband notch characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, No. 1, 100-103, 2015.
15. Singh, R., et al., "Compact planar monopole antenna with dual band notched characteristics using T-shaped stub and rectangular mushroom type electromagnetic band gap structure for UWB and Bluetooth applications," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 78, No. 1, 215-230, 2014.
16. Peng, L., et al., "CPW fed UWB antenna by EBGs with wide rectangular notched-band," IEEE Access, Vol. 4, 9545-9552, 2016.
17. Peng, L. and C. L. Ruan, "UWB band-notched monopole antenna design using electromagnetic-bandgap structures," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1074-1081, 2011.
18. Mandal, T. and S. Das, "Design of a CPW-fed UWB printed antenna with dual notch band using mushroom structure," International Journal of Microwave & Wireless Technologies, 1-8, 2017.
19. Gao, G. P., B. Hu, and J. S. Zhang, "Design of a miniaturization printed circular-slot UWB antenna by the half-cutting method," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, No. 1, 567-570, 2013.