In this paper, a three-dimensional (3-D) tunable band-stop frequency selective surface (FSS) with wide tuning range is presented. The proposed tunable 3-D FSS consists of a periodic array of an annular resonator loaded with two varactor diodes. By controlling the reverse voltage of the varactor diodes, the resonance frequency could be tuned in a wide frequency range. Full-wave simulation shows 100% tuning range from 3.0 GHz to 6.0 GHz with respect to lower resonance frequency. The simulated results exhibit stable band-stop performance under different incident angles (up to 45˚). By cascaded two 3-D tunable FSSs, the bandwidth and selectivity performance could be further enhanced. The proposed 3-D FSS with its stable stop-band performance can be a potential candidate to shield the RF signals which is the major source of problem leading to RF device malfunctions.
2. Yu, Y. M., C. N. Chiu, Y. P. Chiou, and T. L. Wu, "An effective via-based frequency adjustment and minimization methodology for single-layered frequency-selective surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 4, 1061-1049, 2015.
3. Liu, N., X. J. Sheng, and J. J. Fan, "A compact miniaturized frequency selective surface with stable resonant frequency," Progress in Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 62, 17-22, 2016.
4. Mias, C. and J. H. Yap, "A varactor-tunable high impedance surface with a resistive-lumped-element biasing grid," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 7, 1955-1962, 2007.
5. Vez, F. J. L., J. Rodriguez-Cuevas, A. E. Martynyuk, and J. I. Martinez-Lopez, "Active frequency selective surfaces based on loaded ring patches," 2018 IEEE International Conference on Computational Electromagnetics, 1-2, 2018.
6. Sivasamy, R., B. Moorthy, and M. Kanagasabai, "A wideband frequency tunable FSS for electromagnetic shielding applications," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 60, 280-283, 2018.
7. Withayachumnankul, W., C. Fumeaux, and D. Abbott, "Planar array of electric-LC resonators with broadband tunability," Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 557-580, 2011.
8. Neto, A. G., J. C. e Silva, A. G. Barboza, D. F. Mamedes, I. B. G. Coutinho, and M. de Oliveira Alencar, "Varactor-tunable four arms star bandstop FSS with a very simple bias circuit," 2019 13th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, 2019.
9. Mamedes, D. F., A. Gomes Neto, J. C. e Silva, and J. Bornemann, "Design of reconfigurable frequency-selective surfaces including the PIN diode threshold region," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 9, 1483-1486, 2018.
10. Azemi, S. N., K. Ghorbani, and W. S. T. Rowe, "A reconfigurable FSS using a spring resonator element," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett, Vol. 12, 781-784, 2013.
11. Rafique, U. and S. Agarwal, "A modified frequency selective surface band-stop filter for ultra-wideband applications," 2018 International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI), 1653-1656, 2018.
12. Tao, K., B. Li, Y. M. Tang, M. Zhang, and Y. M. Bo, "Analysis and implementation of 3D bandpass frequency selective structure with high frequency selectivity," Electronics Letters, Vol. 53, No. 5, 324-326, 2017.
13. Azemi, R. S. N. and W. S. T. Rowe, "Development and analysis of 3D frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 2011.
14. Azemi, S. N., K. Ghorbani, and W. S. T. Rowe, "3D frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Conference, 2012.
15. Omar, A. A. and Z. Shen, "Multiband high-order bandstop 3-D frequency-selective structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 6, 2217-2226, 2016.
16. Li, B. and Z. Shen, "Three-dimensional bandpass frequency-selective structure with multiple transmission zeros ," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech, Vol. 61, No. 10, 3578-3589, 2013.
17. Kanth, V. K. and S. Raghavan, "3D frequency selective surfaces based on substrate integrated waveguide technology," 2018 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC), 2018.
18. Yu, W., G. Q. Luo, Y. Yu, Z. Liao, H. Jin, and Z. Shen, "Broadband band-absorptive frequency-selective rasorber with a hybrid 2-D and 3-D structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, No. 18, 1701-1705, 2019.