An all-in-one UHF RFID tag antenna using nonuniform meandered lines for retail garments in the textile industry is presented. The all-in-one antenna offers relatively low cost, wide band, compactness, and good conjugate matching in the presence of its robust housing with good dipole-like read range. Results show an antenna with a wide bandwidth of 900MHz and a long read range of 10.2 m making the UHF RFID tag antenna using nonuniform meandered lines a potential candidate for retail garments in the textile industry. Simulations are corroborated by measurements and are in fair agreement.
2. Sharif, A., J. Ouyang, F. Yang, H. T. Chattha, M. A. Imran, A. Alomainy, and Q. H. Abbasi, "Low-cost inkjet-printed UHF RFID tag-based system for internet of things applications using characteristic modes," IEEE Internet of Things Journal, Vol. 6, No. 2, 3962-3975, 2019.
3. Rao, K. V. S., P. V. Nikitin, and S. F. Lam, "Antenna design for UHF RFID tags: A review and a practical application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 12, 3870-3876, Dec. 2005.
4. Li, C., L. Mo, and D. Zhang, "Review on UHF RFID localization methods," IEEE Journal of Radio Frequency Identification, Vol. 3, No. 4, 205-215, 2019.
5. Rao, K. V. S., "An overview of backscattered radio frequency identification system (RFID)," 1999 Asia Pacific Microwave Conference. APMC’99. Microwaves Enter the 21st Century. Conference Proceedings (Cat. No.99TH8473), Vol. 3, 746-749, 1999.
6. Keatley, P. S., E. R. Glover, B. Tremain, I. R. Hooper, A. P. Hibbins, and R. J. Hicken, "A Ferrite-filled cavity resonator for electronic article surveillance on metallic packaging," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 55, No. 12, 1-10, 2019.
7. Gulczynski, A. and J. Biernacki, "Algorithm of detection and location of the tag for acousto-magnetic electronic article surveillance system," 2018 Progress in Applied Electrical Engineering (PAEE), 1-5, 2018.
8. Gourari, F. Z., S. M. Meriah, S. Protat, J. Dubouil, and J.-M. Laheurte, "Comparison of two matching techniques for UHF RFID tags," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 7, 1763-1767, 2018.
9. Choo, J. and J. Ryoo, "UHF RFID tag applicable to various objects," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 2, 922-925, Feb. 2014.
10. Liu, Y., M. Yu, L. Xu, Y. Li, and T. T. Ye, "Characterizations and optimization techniques of embroidered RFID antenna for wearable applications," IEEE Journal of Radio Frequency Identification, Vol. 4, No. 1, 38-45, 2020.
11. Gu, J., F. Li, B. Deng, P. Wang, and L. Hu, "A design of RFID tag antenna for clothing," Proceedings of 2011 Cross Strait Quad-Regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference, Vol. 2, 1075-1077, Jul. 2011.
12. Wavelinx Technologies Pvt Ltd, "An UHF RFID for cloth tag WL20GU,", [Online]. Available: www.wavelinx.in/wave/garments-inventory-uhf.
13. Inserra, D. and G. Wen, "Compact crossed dipole antenna with meandered series power divider for UHF RFID tag and handheld reader devices," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 6, 4195-4199, 2019.
14. Xia, Z., K. W. Leung, M. W. K. Lee, and N. Yang, "Miniature dual-band meander-line monopole chip antenna with independent band control," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 9, 1873-1877, 2019.
15. Faudzi, N. M., M. T. Ali, I. Ismail, H. Jumaat, and N. H. M. Sukaimi, "A compact dipole UHF-RFID tag antenna," 2013 IEEE International RF and Microwave Conference (RFM), 314-317, Dec. 2013.
16. Alien Higgs-4 Chip, "An EPC Global Class-1 Gen-2 ISO/IEC 18000-6C UHF RFID integrated circuit, alien technology,", [Online]. Available: www.alientechnology.com/products/ic/higgs-4.
17. Scracthnest Technologies Pvt Ltd, "Scracthnest RFID reader module SNRR-401,", [Online]. Available: www.scratchnest.com/snrr401.html.
18. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 4th Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 2012.