For a radiating structure such as dipole/patch array mounted on an aerospace platform, the radiation mode radar cross section (RCS) plays a significant role compared to the structural mode RCS. Thus the estimation and control of array RCS without degrading its radiating characteristics poses a challenge for an antenna engineer. In this paper, a novel design of a low profile 4-element patch array with hybrid HIS-based ground plane is presented to demonstrate both in-band and out-of-band structural RCS reductions. A significant broadband reduction in structural RCS has been achieved from 1 GHz to 80 GHz. The radiation mode RCS of the patch array is computed and controlled through optimized design parameters without degrading the radiation characteristics. The computed array RCS shows that even radiation mode RCS can be reduced except in operating frequency range.
2. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, Nov. 1999.
3. Shen, Z., B. Zheng, Z. Mei, J. Yang, and W. Tang, "On the design of wide-band and thin absorbers using the multiple resonances concept," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 32-35, Nanjing, 2008.
4. Ghosh, S., S. Bhattacharyya, and K. V. Srivastava, "Design, characterisation and fabrication of a broadband polarisation-insensitive multi-layer circuit analogue absorber," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, 850-855, 2016.
5. Kundu, D., A. Mohan, and A. Chakrabarty, "Single-layer wideband microwave absorber using array of crossed dipoles," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1589-1592, 2016.
6. Genovesi, S., F. Costa, and A. Monorchio, "Low-profile array with reduced radar cross section by using hybrid frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 5, 2327-2335, May 2012.
7. Jia, Y., Y. Liu, H. Wang, K. Li, and S. Gong, "Low-RCS, high-gain, and wideband mushroom antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 277-280, 2015.
8. Ramkumar, M. A., C. Sudhendra, and K. Rao, "A novel low RCS microstrip antenna array using thin and wideband radar absorbing structure based on embedded passives resistors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 68, 153-161, 2016.
9. Paquay, M., J. C. Iriarte, I. Ederra, R. Gonzalo, and P. D. Maagt, "Thin AMC structure for radar cross-section reduction," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 12, 3630-3638, Dec. 2007.
10. Iriarte, J. C., A. T. Pereda, J. L. M. D. Falcon, I. Ederra, R. Gonzalo, and P. D. Maagt, "Broadband radar cross-section reduction using AMC technology," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 12, 6136-6143, Dec. 2013.
11. Singh, H. and R. M. Jha, Active Radar Cross Section Reduction: Theory and Applications, 325, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, ISBN: 978-1-107-092617, 2015.
12. Singh, A., D. K. Sasidharan, and H. Singh, "Estimation and control of total array RCS of microstrip patch array with hybrid HIS-based ground plane," URSI Asia-Pacific Radio Science Conference (AP-RASC 2019), 1, New Delhi, India, Mar. 2019.
13. Singh, A., K. D. Sasidharan, and H. Singh, "Analytical estimation of radiation mode radar cross section (RCS) of phased arrays," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 69, No. 6, 6415-6421, Jun. 2020.
14. Zhang, J., et al., "RCS reduction of patch array antenna by electromagnetic band-gap structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1048-1051, 2012.
15. Joozdani, M. Z., M. K. Amirhosseini, and A. Abdolali, "Wideband radar cross-section reduction of patch array antenna with miniaturized hexagonal loop frequency selective surface," Electronic Letters, Vol. 52, No. 9, 767-768, Apr. 28, 2016.
16. Liu, Y., H. Wang, K. Li, and S. Gong, "RCS reduction of a patch array antenna based on microstrip resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 4-7, 2015.
17. Liu, Y. and X. Zhao, "Perfect absorber metamaterial for designing low-RCS patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1473-1476, 2014.