In this paper, a broadband RFID tag antenna based on module matching is proposed, which is suitable for metallic surface. The antenna's 10-dB effective bandwidth covers 820-980 MHz. In order to achieve a more appropriate impedance matching in a wideband, a new technique of module matching to reach a wide frequency band is studied, the consistent change of the tag antenna impedance and the chip impedance is fulfilled, and the frequency band is effectively widened. The feasibility of module matching to achieve maximum power transmission is analyzed. Further results demonstrate that the proposed tag antenna provides a stable gain when mounted on metal plates of various sizes. In addition, the proposed design is cost-effective since it does not require metallic vias and has a compact size. The maximum reading distance at 910 MHz on the metallic surface is 4.5 m.
2. Gao, Y., D. Yang, and W. Ning, "RFID application in tire manufacturing logistics," Proc. 2010 IEEE Int. Conf. Adv. Manag. Sci., Vol. 3, 109-112, 2010.
3. Yan, Y., J. Ouyang, X. Ma, R. Wang, and A. Sharif, "Circularly polarized RFID tag antenna design for metallic poles using characteristic mode analysis," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 7, 1327, July 2019.
4. Chen, W., H. Chen, Y. Lin, and Y. Lu, "A circularly polarized square-ring patch tag antenna mounted on metallic plane," Proc. 2016 IEEE 5th Asia-Pacific Conf. Antennas Propag. (APCAP) , 119-120, Kaohsiung, 2016.
5. Lee, Y., B. Chung, E. Lim, and F. Bong, "Miniature slotted-folded-patch antenna for on metal UHF tag," Proc. 2018 IEEE Asia-Pacific Conf. Antennas Propag. (APCAP) , 492-493, Auckland, 2018.
6. Ng, W., H., E. H. Lim, F. L. Bong, and B. K. Chung, "Compact planar Inverted-S antenna with embedded tuning arm for on-metal UHF RFID tag design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 6, 4247-4252, April 2019.
7. Michel, A. and et al, "Design considerations on the placement of a wearable UHF-RFID PIFA on a compact ground plane," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 6, 3142-3147, June 2018.
8. Casula, G. , A., G. Montisci, and G. Mazzarella, "A wideband PET Inkjet-Printed antenna for UHF RFID," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1400-1403, 2013.
9. Pillai, V., "Impedance matching in RFID tags: To which impedance to match?," Proc. 2006 IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 3505-3508, Albuquerque, NM, 2006.
10. Choudhary, A., D. Sood, and C. C. Tripathi, "Wideband long range, radiation efficient compact UHF RFID tag," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 10, 1755-1759, Oct. 2018.
11. Qing, X., C. K. Goh, and Z. N. Chen, "Impedance characterization of RFID tag antennas and application in tag co-design," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 5, 1268-1274, May 2009.
12. Sheikholeslami, A., "Thevenin and norton equivalent circuits: Part 3 [Circuit Intuitions]," IEEE Solid-State Circuits Mag., Vol. 10, No. 4, 7-9, Fall 2018.
13. Marrocco, G., "The art of UHF RFID antenna design: Impedance-matching and size-reduction techniques," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 50, No. 1, 66-79, February 2008.
14. Impinj monza R6 tag chip datasheet, 2016, [Online] Available: https://support.impinj.com.
15. Pan, T., S. Zhang, and S. He, "Compact RFID tag antenna with circular polarization and embedded feed network for metallic objects," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1271-1274, 2014.
16. Chen, S.-L. and K.-H. Lin, "A slim RFID tag antenna design for metallic object applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 729-732, 2008.
17. Lee, Y., C. Moh, E. Lim, F. Bong, and B. Chung, "Miniature folded patch with differential coplanar feedline for metal mountable UHF RFID tag," IEEE Journal of Radio Frequency Identification, Vol. 4, No. 2, 93-100, June 2020.
18. UHF monza R6 chip ABS metal resistant label — ABS4118, 2020, [Online] Available: http://www.iotku.com/Product/425721627888582656.html.