This article presents a compact, single feed dual-band dual-polarized (DBDP) microstrip antenna. The proposed design involves an inverted Y-shaped radiating patch and a rectangular open-loop positioned near its right corner that creates mutual coupling to attain wideband circular polarization (CP). To achieve enhanced axial ratio bandwidth (ARBW), a semi-rectangular ground plane with two asymmetric truncated L-shaped slots has been used. An L-shaped slotted quarter wave microstrip line feed is used here for broader ARBW and proper impedance matching. The measured dual impedance bandwidths (IBW) in the range 5.85-6.52 GHz (centre resonance frequency frc1 = 6.19 GHz, 10.66%) in lower frequency region and 7.25-13.64 GHz (frc2 = 10.445 GHz, 61.18% bandwidth) in higher frequency region. The two ARBW bands span over 7.22-10.99 GHz (fc1 = 9.105 GHz, 41.41%) and 11.67 GHz-12.25 GHz (fc2 = 11.96 GHz, 4.85%). The measured peak gains between 3.20 and 4.96 dBi over the entire IBW range makes the LP and CP bands suitable for ITS (5.9 GHz), U-NII-5 of 6 GHz band, some C-band, ITU-8 GHz, some X-band, and Ku-band applications.
2. Yu, D., S. X. Gong, Y. Xu, and Y. T. Wan, "Dual-band dual-polarized circular microstrip patch antenna with the curved slots on the ground," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 51, 27-31, 2015.
3. Langston, W. L. and D. R. Jackson, "Impedance, axial-ratio, and receive-power bandwidths of microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 10, 2769-2774, 2004.
4. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Wideband dual-frequency dual-polarized dipole-like antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 831-834, 2011.
5. Ding, K., C. Gao, Y. Wu, D. Qu, B. Zhang, and Y. Wang, "Dual-band and dual-polarized antenna with endfire radiation," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 13, 1823-1828, 2017.
6. Bag, B., P. Biswas, S. Biswas, and P. P. Sarkar, "Wide-bandwidth multifrequency circularly polarized monopole antenna for wireless communication applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 3, e21631, 2019.
7. Madaka, K. C. R. and P. Muthusamy, "Mode investigation of parasitic annular ring loaded dual band coplanar waveguide antenna with polarization diversity characteristics," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, e22119, 2020.
8. Dhara, R. and T. Kundu, "A compact inverted Y-shaped circularly polarized wideband monopole antenna with open loop," Engineering Reports, 2020.
9. Lin, J., Z. Qian, W. Cao, S. Shi, Q. Wang, and W. Zhong, "A low-profile dual-band dual-mode and dual-polarized antenna based on AMC," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2473-2476, 2017.
10. Dhara, R., S. Yadav, M. M. Sharma, S. K. Jana, and M. C. Govil, "A circularly polarized quadband annular ring antenna with asymmetric ground plane using theory of characteristic modes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 100, 51-68, 2021.
11. Tan, M. T. and B. Z. Wang, "A dual-band circularly polarized planar monopole antenna for WLAN/Wi-Fi applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 670-673, 2015.
12. Chen, Y. Y., Y. C. Jiao, G. Zhao, F. Zhang, Z. L. Liao, and Y. Tian, "Dual-band dual-sense circularly polarized slot antenna with a C-shaped grounded strip," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 915-918, 2011.
13. Singh, A. K., S. Patil, B. K. Kanaujia, and V. K. Pandey, "A novel printed circularly polarized asymmetric wide slot antenna for digital cellular system," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 62, No. 3, 1438-1447, 2020.
14. Ellis, M. S., F. B. Effah, A. R. Ahmed, J. J. Kponyo, J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, and B. Mohammadi, "Asymmetric circularly polarized open-slot antenna," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 5, e22141, 2020.
15. Dhara, R., "Quad-band circularly polarized CPW-fed G-shaped printed antenna with square slot," Radioelectronics and Communications Systems, Vol. 63, No. 7, 376-385, 2020.
16. Pourahmadazar, J., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, N. Felegari, and H. Shirzad, "Broadband CPW-fed circularly polarized square slot antenna with inverted-L strips for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 369-372, 2011.
17. Shokri, M., V. Rafii, S. Karamzadeh, Z. Amiri, and B. Virdee, "Miniaturised ultra-wideband circularly polarised antenna with modified ground plane," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 24, 1786-1788, 2014.
18. Fujimoto, T., Y. Yoshitake, and D. Yagyu, "Design and simulation based studies of a dual-band circularly-polarized square microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 52, 129-134, 2015.
19. Saini, R. K. and P. S. Bakariya, "Dual-band dual-sense circularly polarized asymmetric slot antenna with f-shaped feed line and parasitic elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 69, 185-195, 2018.
20. Dhara, R., S. K. Jana, and M. Mitra, "Tri-band circularly polarized monopole antenna for wireless communication application," Radioelectronics and Communications Systems, Vol. 63, No. 4, 213-222, 2020.
21. Dhara, R. and M. Mitra, "A triple-band circularly polarized annular ring antenna with asymmetric ground plane for wireless applications," Engineering Reports, Vol. 2, No. 4, e12150, 2020.