A composite right/left-handed (CRLH) leaky wave antenna (LWA) using double mushroom-like structures is proposed. With a proper arrangement of the left-handed structures, desirable cross-polarization performance in two orthogonal planes can be obtained based on the differential excitation principle. The CRLH performance of the cascaded LWA is demonstrated, and its improved radiation performance is clarified. Measured results indicate that the proposed antenna operates in 9.7-16.4 GHz with a beam scanning range from -71° to +31°. The cross-polarization levels are less than -30 dB and -20 dB in the beam scanning plane and non-beam-scanning plane, respectively.
2. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed substrate integrated waveguide and half mode substrate integrated waveguide leaky-wave structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 3, 767-775, March 2011.
3. Karmokar, D. K., et al., "Composite right/left-handed leaky-wave antennas for wideangle beam scanning with flexibly chosen frequency range," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 68, No. 1, 100-110, January 2020.
4. Sarkar, A., et al., "Compact CRLH leaky wave antenna using TE20-mode substrate integrated waveguide for broad space radiation coverage," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 68, No. 10, 7202-7207, October 2020.
5. Jin, C. and A. Alphones, "Leaky-wave radiation behavior from a double periodic composite right/left-handed substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 4, 1727-1735, April 2012.
6. Cao, W., Z. N. Chen, and W. Hong, "A beam scanning leaky-wave slot antenna with enhanced scanning angle range and flat gain characteristic using composite phase-shifting transmission line," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 11, 5871-5875, November 2014.
7. Nasimuddin, N., Z. N. Chen, and W. Qing, "Substrate integrated metamaterial-based leaky-wave antenna with improved boresight radiation bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 7, 3451-3457, June 2013.
8. Saghati, A. P., M. M. Mirsalehi, and M. H. Neshatid, "A HMSIW circularly polarized leaky-wave antenna with backward, broadside, and forward radiation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 2320-2325, 2014.
9. Zhang, H., Y. C. Jiao, and G. Zhao, "CRLH-SIW-based leaky wave antenna with low crosspolarisation for Ku-band applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 17, 1426-1428, 2016.
10. Caloz, T. I., Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley, Hoboken, 2004.
11., Left-handed Metamaterial Design Guide, Ansoft Corporation, 2007.
12. Schejbal, V. and V. Kovarik, "A method of cross-polarization reduction," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 48, No. 5, 108-111, 2006.
13. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Substrate integrated composite right-/left-handed leaky-wave structure for polarization-flexible antenna application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 760-771, February 2012.