This paper develops a circuit theory on bandpass negative group delay (NGD) topology. The NGD active lumped circuit uses a low noise amplifier (LNA). An S-parameter model is formulated. Unfamiliar, NGD function analysis is introduced by analytically defining the NGD value, bandwidth, and central frequency in function of the topology parameters. The synthesis formulas enabling the calculation of cell parameters as a function of the targeted bandpass function specifications. To validate the circuit theory, an NGD proof of concept (PoC) is designed, simulated and tested. As expected, simulations and measurements are in good agreement. Calculated model, simulated and measured results showing NGD level of about -10 ns around the centre frequency 0.5 GHz over the bandwidth 50 MHz validate are obtained.
2. Siddiqui, O. F., M. Mojahedi, and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Periodically loaded transmission line with effective negative refractive index and negative group velocity," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2619-2625, Oct. 2003.
3. Chaudhary, G. and Y. Jeong, "Tunable center frequency negative group delay filter using coupling matrix approach," IEEE Microwave Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 27, No. 1, 37-39, 2017.
4. Liu, G. and J. Xu, "Compact transmission-type negative group delay circuit with low attenuation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 53, No. 7, 476-478, Mar. 2017.
5. Kandic, M. and G. E. Bridges, "Asymptotic limits of negative group delay in active resonator-based distributed circuits," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, Vol. 58, No. 8, 1727-1735, Aug. 2011.
6. Choi, H., Y. Jeong, C. D. Kim, and J. S. Kenney, "Efficiency enhancement of feedforward amplifiers by employing a negative group delay circuit," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 5, 1116-1125, May 2010.
7. Choi, H., Y. Jeong, C. D. Kim, and J. S. Kenney, "Bandwidth enhancement of an analog feedback amplifier by employing a negative group delay circuit," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 253-272, 2010.
8. Ravelo, B., "Investigation on microwave negative group delay circuit," Electromagnetics, Vol. 31, No. 8, 537-549, Nov. 2011.
9. Wu, C.-T. M. and T. Itoh, "Maximally flat negative group delay circuit: A microwave transversal filter approach," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 62, No. 6, 1330-1342, Jun. 2014.
10. Ravelo, B., "Similitude between the NGD function and filter gain behaviours," Int. J. Circ. Theor. Appl., Vol. 42, No. 10, 1016-1032, Oct. 2014.
11. Wan, F., N. Li, B. Ravelo, Q. Ji, B. Li, and J. Ge, "The design method of the active negative group delay circuits based on a microwave amplifier and an RL-series network," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 33849-33858, Dec. 2018.
12. Wan, F., J. Wang, B. Ravelo, J. Ge, and B. Li, "Time-domain experimentation of NGD active RC-network cell," IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 66, No. 4, 562-566, Apr. 2019.
13. Wan, F., X. Miao, B. Ravelo, Q. Yuan, J. Cheng, Q. Ji, and J. Ge, "Design of multi-scale negative group delay circuit for sensors signal time-delay cancellation," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 19, No. 19, 8951-8962, Oct. 2019.
14. Wan, F., Z. Yuan, B. Ravelo, J. Ge, and W. Rahajandraibe, "Low-pass NGD voice signal sensoring with passive circuit," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 20, No. 12, 6762-6775, Jun. 2020.
15. Wan, F., L. Wang, Q. Ji, and B. Ravelo, "Canonical transfer function of band-pass NGD circuit," IET Circuits, Devices & Systems , Vol. 13, No. 2, 125-130, Mar. 2019.