In this paper, a modified circular loop FSS with a slot antenna is proposed for sub-6 GHz 5G applications. The proposed FSS reduces the resonant frequency to towards lower bands of conventional circular FSS without change in its size. The operating bandwidth (-10 dB) of proposed antenna loaded with polarization insensitive single-layer FSS varies from 3.6 GHz to 6.1 GHz with an average gain of 7-7.5 dB and a maximum realized gain of 7.87 dB. An FSS superstrate is loaded onto a slot antenna to increase the realized gain of 4 dB, where the FSS shows desirable electromagnetic wave reflection characteristics over operating bandwidth and can be used in 5G sub-6 GHz band applications.
2. Kundu, S., A. Chatterjee, S. K. Jana, and S. K. Parui, "Gain enhancement of a printed leaf shaped UWB antenna using dual FSS layers and experimental study for ground coupling GPR applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 6, 1417-1423, 2018.
3. Chatterjee, A. and S. K. Parui, "Frequency-dependent directive radiation of monopole-dielectric resonator antenna using a conformal frequency selective surface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 5, 2233-2239, 2017.
4. Chatterjee, A. and K. P. Susanta, "Gain enhancement of a wide slot antenna using a second-order bandpass frequency selective surface," Radioengineering, Vol. 24, No. 2, 455-461, 2015.
5. Ghosh, A., T. Mandal, and S. Das, "Design of triple band slot-patch antenna with improved gain using triple band artificial magnetic conductor," Radioengineering, Vol. 25, No. 3, 442-448, 2016.
6. Gharsallah, H., L. Osman, and L. Latrach, "Circularly polarized two-layer conical DRA based on metamaterial," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 8, 1913-1919, 2017.
7. Belen, M. A., "Performance enhancement of a microstrip patch antenna using dual-layer frequency-selective surface for ISM band applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 11, 2730-2734, 2018.
8. Gunes, F., M. A. Belen, and P. Mahouti, "Performance enhancement of a microstrip patch antenna using substrate integrated waveguide frequency selective surface for ISM band applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 5, 1160-1164, 2018.
9. Belen, M. A., P. Mahouti, and M. Palandoken, "Design and realization of novel frequency selective surface loaded dielectric resonator antenna via 3D printing technology," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 62, No. 5, 2004-2013, 2020.
10. Bhattacharya, A., B. Dasgupta, and R. Jyoti, "Design and analysis of ultrathin X-band frequency selective surface structure for gain enhancement of hybrid antenna," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, e22505, 2020.
11. Krishna, R. R. and R. Kumar, "Slotted ground microstrip antenna with FSS reflector for high-gain horizontal polarisation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 8, 599-600, 2015.
12. Ranga, Y., L. Matekovits, K. P. Esselle, and A. R. Weily, "Multioctave frequency selective surface reflector for ultrawideband antennas," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 219-222, 2011.
13. Roy, S. and U. Chakraborty, "Gain enhancement of a dual-band WLAN microstrip antenna loaded with diagonal pattern metamaterials," IET Communications, Vol. 12, No. 12 , 1448-1453, 2018.
14. Huang, J., T.-K. Wu, and S.-W. Lee, "Tri-band frequency selective surface with circular ring elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 2, 166-175, 1994.
15. Langley, R. J. and E. A. Parker, "Equivalent circuit model for arrays of square loops," Electronics Letters, Vol. 18, No. 7, 294-296, 1982.
16. Varkani, A. R., Z. H. Firouzeh, and A. Z. Nezhad, "Equivalent circuit model for array of circular loop FSS structures at oblique angles of incidence," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 5, 749-755, 2017.
17. Das, P. and K. Mandal, "Modelling of ultra-wide stop-band frequency-selective surface to enhance the gain of a UWB antenna," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 3, 269-277, 2019.