In this paper, a compact and reconfigurable rectangular substrate integrated waveguide structure dual-mode configuration based dual-band band-pass filter has been presented for 5G communication and milli-meter-waves. The dual-band bandpass filter is realized by utilizing the two pairs of dumbbell-shaped defected ground structure. The dumbbell-shaped defected ground structures etched on both the ground and the top side of the cavity have been used to produce transmission zeros, minimize the circuit size, and enhance the passband characteristics at a particular frequency of operations. In an effort to demonstrate the proposed dual-band substrate integrated waveguide band-pass filter, the proposed configuration has been designed and fabricated at the 28.3 GHz and 38.5 GHz frequency using low-cost PCB technique. The centre frequency of the second pass-band has been easily tuned using the geometrical parameters of the filter to achieve the desired applications in the 5G frequency band. Furthermore, the measured in-band return loss (rejection attenuation) of the two bands is approximately better than 26 dB and 28 dB respectively. The insertion loss of not more than 01 dB for both bands of the filter has been achieved. This dual-band filter operating at the licensed frequencies for the 5G spectrum bands renders this filter appropriate for numerous 5G and millimeter-wave communication applications.
2. Bhat, Z. A., J. A. Sheikh, R. Rehman, S. A. Parrah, M. U. Amin, and S. D. Khan, "Compact microstrip bandpass filter using stepped-impedance resonators and stepped-lumped resonators for 5G Wi-Fi and WLAN applications," 2019 International Conference on Power Electronics, Control and Automation (ICPECA), 1-4, IEEE, November 2019.
3. Dong, K., J. Mo, Y. He, Z. Ma, and X. Yang, "Design of a millimeter-wave dual-band bandpass filter using SIW dual-mode cavities," 2016 IEEE MTT-S International Wireless Symposium (IWS), 1-3, IEEE, March 2016.
4. Sofi, I. B. and A. Gupta, "A survey on energy efficient 5G green network with a planned multi-tier architecture," Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Vol. 118, 1-28, 2018.
5. Tharani, D., R. K. Barik, Q. S. Cheng, K. Selvajyothi, and S. S. Karthikeyan, "Compact dual-band SIW filters loaded with double ring D-shaped resonators for sub-6GHz applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 35, No. 3, 1-14, 2020.
6. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Miniaturized dual-band substrate integrated waveguide filters using complementary split-ring resonators," 2011 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 1-4, IEEE, June 2011.
7. Senior, D. E., X. Cheng, M. Machado, and Y. K. Yoon, "Single and dual band bandpass filters using complementary split ring resonator loaded half mode substrate integrated waveguide," 2010 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, IEEE, July 2010.
8. Dong, Y. D., T. Yang, and T. Itoh, "Substrate integrated waveguide loaded by complementary split-ring resonators and its applications to miniaturized waveguide filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 9, 2211-2223, 2009.
9. Chen, X. P., K. Wu, and Z. L. Li, "Dual-band and triple-band substrate integrated waveguide filters with Chebyshev and quasi-elliptic responses," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 12, 2569-2578, 2007.
10. Miao, M. and C. Nguyen, "A novel multilayer aperture-coupled cavity resonator for millimeterwave CMOS RFICs," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 4, 783-787, 2007.
11. Wang, J., Y. Guan, H. Yu, N. Li, S. Wang, C. Shen, and G. Zhang, "Transparent graphene microstrip filters for wireless communications," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 50, No. 34, 34LT01, 2017.
12. Liu, L., Q. Fu, F. Liang, and S. Zhao, "Dual-band filter based on air-filled SIW cavity for 5G application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 61, No. 11, 2599-2606, 2019.
13. Rogla, L. J., J. Carbonell, and V. E. Boria, "Study of equivalent circuits for open-ring and split-ring resonators in coplanar waveguide technology," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 1, 170-176, 2007.
14. Ahn, D., J. S. Park, C. S. Kim, J. Kim, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 1, 86-93, 2001.
15. Huang, Y., Z. Shao, and L. Liu, "A substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filter using novel defected ground structure shape," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 135, 201-213, 2013.
16. Chen, R. S., S. W. Wong, L. Zhu, and Q. X. Chu, "Wideband bandpass filter using U-slotted Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) cavities," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, No. 1, 1-3, 2014.
17. Ahn, D., J. S. Park, C. S. Kim, J. Kim, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 1, 86-93, 2001.
18. Yoon, J. S., J. G. Kim, J. S. Park, C. S. Park, J. B. Lim, H. G. Cho, and K. Y. Kang, "A new DGS resonator and its application to bandpass filter design," 2004 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (IEEE Cat. No. 04CH37535), Vol. 3, 1605-1608, IEEE, June 2004.
19. Bhat, Z., J. Sheikh, S. Khan, R. Rehman, and S. Ashraf, "Compact and novel coupled line microstrip bandpass filter based on stepped impedance resonators for millimetre-wave communications," Frequenz, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1515/freq-2020-0156.
20. Li, Y., L. A. Yang, L. Du, K. Zhang, and Y. Hao, "Design of millimeter-wave resonant cavity and filter using 3-D substrate-integrated circular waveguide," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 27, No. 8, 706-708, 2017.
21. Shen, G., W. Che, and Q. Xue, "Compact microwave and millimeter-wave bandpass filters using LTCC-based hybrid lumped and distributed resonators," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 104797-104809, 2019.
22. Li, J., Y. Huang, H. Wang, P. Wang, and G. Wen, "38-GHz SIW filter based on the steppedimpedance face-to-face E-shaped DGSs for 5G application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 61, No. 6, 1500-1504, 2019.
23. Parment, F., A. Ghiotto, T. P. Vuong, J. M. Duchamp, and K. Wu, "Ka-band compact and highperformance bandpass filter based on multilayer air-filled SIW," Electronics Letters, Vol. 53, No. 7, 486-488, 2017.