A coplanar tri-band wearable antenna combined with an electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structure is described for sub-6 GHz 5G and wireless local area network (WLAN) applications. The proposed antenna is fully implemented in textile materials thus offering a robust, compact, and discreet solution to meet the requirements of wearable applications. The addition of the EBG structure increases the textile antenna performance in terms of radiation patterns in the presence of the human body. The experimental results show that the proposed design exhibits tolerance to various bending conditions as well as loading by body tissues. In addition, to ensure the safety of the design for human health, the values of the specific absorption rate (SAR) have been reduced by more than 95%, which complies with the international standard. This design could thus be considered as a good candidate for IoT applications compared to the current state of the art while having a tri-band behavior and smaller volume.
2. Song, Y., D. Le Goff, G. Riondet, and K. Mouthaa, "Polymer-based 4.2 GHz patch antenna," Proceedings of the 2020 International Workshop on Antenna Technology, 25-28, Feb. 2020.
3. Ashyap, A. Y. I., et al., "Inverted E-shaped wearable textile antenna for medical applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 35214-35222, 2018.
4. Atanasova, G. L. and N. T. Atanasov, "Impact of electromagnetic properties of textile materials on performance of a low-profile wearable antenna backed by a reflector," International Workshop on Antenna Technology, 1-4, iWAT, 2020.
5. Fang, R., R. Song, X. Zhao, Z. Wang, W. Qian, and D. He, "Compact and low-profile UWB antenna based on graphene-assembled films for wearable applications," Sensors, Vol. 20, 2552, 2020.
6. Gao, G.-P., C. Yang, B. Hu, R.-F. Zhang, and S.-F. Wang, "A wide bandwidth wearable all-textile PIFA with dual resonance modes for 5 GHz WLAN applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 6, 4206-4211, Jun. 2019.
7. Zhu, S. and R. Langley, "Dual-band wearable textile antenna on an EBG substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 926-935, Apr. 2009.
8. Yan, S., P. J. Soh, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Low-profile dual-band textile antenna with artificial magnetic conductor plane," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 12, 6487-6490, 2014.
9. Gao, G. P., B. Hu, S. F. Wang, and C. Yang, "Wearable circular ring slot antenna with EBG structure for wireless bodyarea network," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, 434-437, 2018.
10. Velan, S. and E. F. Sundarsingh, "Dual-band EBG integrated monopole antenna deploying fractal geometry for wearable applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 249-252, 2015.
11. Mantash, M., A. C. Tarot, and K. Mahdjoubi, "Design methodology for wearable antenna on artificial magnetic conductor using stretch conductive fabric," IETJ Mag., Vol. 52, 95-96, 2016.
12. Desai, A., T. Upadhyaya, J. Patel, and R. Patel, "Flexible CPW fed transparent antenna for WLAN and sub-6 GHz 5G applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 62, 2090-2103, 2020.
13. Zahedi, A., F. A. Boroumand, and H. Aliakbarian, "Analytical transmission line model for complex dielectric constant measurement of thin substrates using T-resonator method," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 14, 2027-2034, 2020.
14. Foroozesh, A. and L. Shafai, "Investigation into the application of artificial magnetic conductors to bandwidth broadening, gain enhancement and beam shaping of low profile and conventional monopole antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 1, 4-20, Jan. 2011.
15. Li, Y., M. Fan, F. Chen, J. She, and Z. Feng, "A novel compact electromagnetic-bandgap (EBG) structure and its applications for microwave circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, 183-190, 2005.
16. EL May. W, I. Sfar, L. Osman, and J. M. Ribero, "A textile EBG-based antenna for future 5G-IoT millimeter-wave applications," Electronics, Vol. 10, Jan. 2021.
17. Liu, X. Y., Y. H. Di, H. Liu, Z. T. Wu, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A planar Windmill-like broadband antenna equipped with artificial magnetic conductor for off-body communications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 64-67, 2016.
18. Jamaluddin, M. H., et al., "An overview of electromagnetic band-gap integrated wearable antennas," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 7641-7658, 2020.
19. Hirata, A., K. Shirai, and O. Fujiwara, "On averaging mass of SAR correlating with temperature elevation due to a dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 221-237, 2008.
20. Klemm, M. and G. Troester, "EM energy absorption in the human body tissues due to UWB antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 62, 261-280, 2006.