Artificial material has the feature to realize a controllable effective permittivity, which leads to many potential applications in the RF and optical fields. In this study, an artificial material is proposed for a Resonant Cavity antenna (RCA) to enhance the gain of patch antenna. The artificial material is made of a lot of circular conducting patches in a uniform size hosted in an FR-4 substrate. The fabricated artificial material is in a square shape with a length and width of 52 mm × 52 mm and a thickness of 1.2 mm. The artificial material is set in front of a patch antenna to construct an RCA, and the gain property of the proposed RCA is evaluated with the simulation and measurement methods. The results by both the simulation and measurement methods prove that the gain is enhanced by the proposed artificial material. The maximum gains are 14.5 dBi in simulation and 12.8 dBi in measurement at 15 GHz for the RCA with on slab of the artificial material. The gain is improved compared to the gain of a patch antenna without the artificial material.
2. Awai, I., "Artificial dielectric resonators for miniaturized filters," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 9, No. 5, 55-64, 2008.
3. Kock, W. E., "Metallic delay lenses," Bell Syst. Tech. J., Vol. 27, 58-82, 1948.
4. Saadoun, M. M. I. and N. Engheta, "A reciprocal phase shifter using novel pseudo chiral or medium," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 5, No. 4, 184-188, 1992.
5. Tanaka, M. and K. Sato, "Transmission and reflection characteristics of a multilayered chiral slab," IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. J75-C-I, No. 10, 677-680, 1992.
6. Saha, S. C., J. P. Grant, Y.Ma, A. Khalid, F. Hong, and D. R. S. Cumming, "Terahertz frequencydomain spectroscopy method for vector characterization of liquid using an artificial dielectric," IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 1, 113-122, 2012.
7. Zhang, J., P. A. R. Ade, P. Mauskopf, L. Moncelsi, G. Savini, and N. Whitehouse, "A new artificial dielectric metamaterial and its application as a THz anti-reflection coating," Applied Optics, Vol. 48, No. 35, 6635-6642, 2009.
8. Guo, Z., H. Jiang, and H. Chen, "Hyperbolic metamaterials: From dispersion manipulation to applications," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 127, No. 7, 071101, 2020.
9. Awai, I., T. Yamauchi, S. Yasui, and Y. Zhang, "Very thin artificial dielectric lens antenna made of printed circuit board," Proc. International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP) 2007, 390-393, 2007.
10. Zhang, Y., A. Inoue, and I. Awai, "Design and fabrication of an artificial dielectric flat lens antenna," IEICE, Vol. J95-B, No. 12, 1634-1641, 2012 (in Japanese).
11. Zhang, Y., Y. Aratani, and H. Nakazima, "A microwave free-space method using artificial lens with anti-reflection layer," Sensing and Imaging: International Journal of Subsurface Sensing Technologies and Applications, Vol. 18, Artile 17, Springer, 2017.
12. Zhang, Y., R. Aoki, and S. Morita, "Free-space moisture measurement using a flat artificial lens antenna," Journal of Microwave Power and Electromagnetic Energy, Vol. 48, No. 3, 184-191, 2014.
13. Trentini, G. V., "Partially reflecting sheet arrays," IRE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 4, No. 4, 666-671, 1956.
14. Jackson, D. and N. Alexopoulos, "Gain enhancement methods for printed circuit antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 33, No. 9, 976-987, 1985.
15. Al-Tarifi, M. A., D. E. Anagnostou, A. K. Amert, and K. W. Whites, "Dual-band resonant cavity antenna with a single dielectric superstrate," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-2, 2012.
16. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Edition, Wiley Inc., 2005.
17. Smith, D. R., D. C. Vier, Th. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Electromagnetic parameter retrieval from inhomogeneous metamaterials," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 71, paper No. 036617, 2005.
18. Feresidis, A. P., et al., "Artificial magnetic conductor surfaces and their application to low-profile high-gain planar antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 209-215, 2005.
19. Foroozesh, A. and L. Shafai, "Investigation into the effects of the patch-type FSS superstrate on the high-gain cavity resonance antenna design," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 2, 258-270, 2009.
20. Kraszewski, A. W., S. Trabelsi, and S. O. Nelson, "Wheat permittivity measurements in free space," Journal of Microwave Power and Electromagnetic Energy, Vol. 31, No. 3, 135-141, 1996.
21. Kraszewski, A. W., "Microwave aquametry: Introduction to the workshop," Microwave Aquametry, Electromagnetic Wave Interaction with Water-containing Materials, 3-34, edited by Andrzej Kraszewski, IEEE Press, 1996.
22. Trabelsi, S., A. W. Kraszewski, and S. O. Nelson, "Nondestructive sensing of physical properties of granular materials by microwave permittivity measurement," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 55, No. 3, 953-963, 2006.