In this letter, a compact dual-band patch antenna based on ball grid array (BGA) packaging for 5G mmWave is proposed. The patch antenna adopts a U-slot and a shorting pin to achieve dual-band operation of 28 GHz and 37 GHz. A single-layer FR4 substrate provides cost-effective features for the massive application. The BGA packaging not only reduces the size but also enables the antenna to be surface-mounted with other components in the same package, which improves the integration. The antenna has been fabricated and measured, and an acceptable agreement was obtained between the simulation and measurement results.
2. Rappaport, T. S., et al., "Millimeter wave mobile communications for 5G cellular: It will work!," IEEE Access, Vol. 1, 335-349, 2013.
3. Zhao, Q. and J. Li, "Rain attenuation in millimeter wave ranges," 2006 7th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation EM Theory, 1-4, Oct. 2006.
4. Deckmyn, T., M. Cauwe, D. V. Ginste, H. Rogier, and S. Agneessens, "Dual-band (28, 38) GHz coupled quarter-mode substrate-integrated waveguide antenna array for next-generation wireless systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 4, 2405-2412, Apr. 2019.
5. Liu, P., X. Zhu, Y. Zhang, X. Wang, C. Yang, and Z. H. Jiang, "Patch antenna loaded with paired shorting pins and H-shaped slot for 28/38 GHz dual-band MIMO applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 23705-23712, 2020.
6. Hasan, M. N., S. Bashir, and S. Chu, "Dual band omnidirectional millimeter wave antenna for 5G communications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 33, No. 12, 1581-1590, 2019.
7. Carver, K. and J. Mink, "Microstrip antenna technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 29, No. 1, 2-24, Jan. 1981.
8. Telsang, T. M. and A. B. Kakade, "Ultrawideband slotted semicircular patch antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 2, 362-369, 2014.
9. Waterhouse, R. B., S. D. Targonski, and D. M. Kokotoff, "Design and performance of small printed antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, No. 11, 1629-1633, Nov. 1998.
10. Kaur, K., A. Kumar, and N. Sharma, "Split ring slot loaded compact CPW-fed printed monopole antennas for ultra-wideband applications with band notch characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 110, 39-54, 2021.
11. Liu, S., S.-S. Qi, W. Wu, and D.-G. Fang, "Single-layer single-patch four-band asymmetrical U-slot patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 9, 4895-4899, Sep. 2014.
12. Mok, W. C., S. H.Wong, K. M. Luk, and K. F. Lee, "Single-layer single-patch dual-band and tripleband patch antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 8, 4341-4344, Aug. 2013.
13. Zhang, Y. P., "Integration of microstrip patch antenna on ceramic ball grid array package," Electron. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 5, 207-208, Feb. 2002.
14. Sun, M., Y. P. Zhang, D. Liu, K. M. Chua, and L. L. Wai, "A ball grid array package with a microstrip grid array antenna for a single-chip 60-GHz receiver," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 6, 2134-2140, Jun. 2011.
15. Zhang, Y. P., "Integrated circuit ceramic ball grid array package antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 10, 2538-2544, Oct. 2004.
16. Liu, X., W. Zhang, D. Hao, and Y. Liu, "A compact broadband folded dipole antenna element with ball grid array packaging for new 5G application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 96, 113-119, 2021.