A simple and novel polarization-dependent phase gradient metasurface (PGMS) is proposed to synthesize a flat-top radiation pattern by dividing the metasurface (MTS) into multiple regions. Each sub-region generates a beam in a particular direction and multiple beams with different directions form a flat-top pattern in the far-field. A flat-top pattern in a single and 3D plane are realized by dividing the MTS into two and four regions, respectively. The proposed MTS consists of a multi-layered elliptical geometry encircled by a square loop. The elliptical shape of the unitcell offers polarization dependent behavior and produces dual-band characteristics for different incident wave polarizations at 10 and 12 GHz. Two microstrip patch antennas operating at 10 GHz and 12 GHz are placed at the focal point of the MTS. The simulated flat-top beamwidths in a single plane with a 1 dB ripple are 36˚ and 34˚ at 10 and 11.8 GHz respectively. Similarly, in 3D space, the beamwidths are 33˚ and 31˚ at 10 and 11.8 GHz, respectively. Both simulated and measured results are presented for 3D flat-top patterns.
2. Volakis, J. L., Antenna Engineering Handbook, McGraw-Hill Education, 2007.
3. Zhou, H.-J., Y.-H. Huang, B.-H. Sun, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Design and realization of a at-top shaped beam antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 5, 159-166, 2008.
4. Monavar, F. M., S. Shamsinejad, R. Mirzavand, J. Melzer, and P. Mousavi, "Beam-steering SIW leaky-wave subarray with at-topped footprint for 5G applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 3, 1108-1120, 2017.
5. Rao, S., L. Shafai, and S. K. Sharma, Handbook of Re ector Antennas and Feed Systems Volume III: Applications of Re ectors, Artech House, 2013.
6. Nguyen, N. T., R. Sauleau, and L. Le Coq, "Lens antennas with at-top radiation patterns: Benchmark of beam shaping techniques at the feed array level and lens shape level," 2009 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2834-2837, 2009.
7. Chahat, N., et al., "Advanced cubesat antennas for deep space and earth science missions: A review," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 61, No. 5, 37-46, 2019.
8. Chen, C., B. Zhang, and K. Huang, "Nonuniform Fabry-Perot leaky-wave antenna with at- topped radiation patterns for microwave wireless power transmission," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 9, 1863-1867, 2019.
9. Ozdemir, E., O. Akgol, F. Ozkan Alkurt, M. Karaaslan, Y. I. Abdulkarim, and L. Deng, "Mutual coupling reduction of cross-dipole antenna for base stations by using a neural network approach," Applied Sciences, Vol. 10, No. 1, 378, 2020.
10. Ozturk, M., U. K. Sevim, O. Altintas, E. Unal, O. Akgol, M. Karaaslan, and C. Sabah, "Design of a linear to circular polarization converter integrated into a concrete construction for radome applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, 1-8, 2021.
11. Abdulkarim, Y. I., H. N. Awl, F. F. Muhammadsharif, M. Karaaslan, R. H. Mahmud, S. O. Hasan, O. Isik, H. Luo, and S. Huang, "A low-prole antenna based on single-layer metasurface for Ku-band applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2020, 2020.
12. Yu, N., P. Genevet, M. A. Kats, F. Aieta, J.-P. Tetienne, F. Capasso, and Z. Gaburro, "Light propagation with phase discontinuities: Generalized laws of re ection and refraction," Science, Vol. 334, No. 6054, 333-337, 2011.
13. Ding, F., A. Pors, and S. I. Bozhevolnyi, "Gradient metasurfaces: A review of fundamentals and applications," Reports on Progress in Physics, Vol. 81, No. 2, 026401, 2017.
14. Faenzi, M., D. Gonzalez-Ovejero, and S. Maci, "Flat gain broadband metasurface antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 4, 1942-1951, 2020.
15. He, B., J. Fan, Y. Cheng, F. Chen, H. Luo, and R. Gong, "Thermally tunable terahertz vortex beam generator based on an insb metasurface," JOSA B,, Vol. 38, No. 5, 1518-1524, 2021.
16. Zhou, E., Y. Cheng, F. Chen, and H. Luo, "Wideband and high-gain patch antenna with re ective focusing metasurface," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 134, 153709, 2021.
17. Fan, J. and Y. Cheng, "Broadband high-efficiency cross-polarization conversion and multi- functional wavefront manipulation based on chiral structure metasurface for terahertz wave," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 53, No. 2, 025109, 2019.
18. Wang, J., J. Fan, H. Shu, C. Liu, and Y. Cheng, "Efficiency-tunable terahertz focusing lens based on graphene metasurface," Opto-Electronic Engineering, Vol. 48, No. 4, 200319-1, 2021.
19. Singh, A. K., M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "Wide angle beam steerable high gain at top beam antenna using graded index metasurface lens," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 10, 6334-6343, 2019.
20. Li, H., G. Wang, T. Cai, H. Hou, and W. Guo, "Wideband transparent beam-forming metadevice with amplitude-and phase-controlled metasurface," Physical Review Applied, Vol. 11, No. 1, 014043, 2019.
21. Li, H., G. Wang, L. Zhu, X. Gao, and H. Hou, "Wideband beam-forming metasurface with simultaneous phase and amplitude modulation," Optics Communications, Vol. 466, 124601, 2020.
22. Li, H.-P., G.-M.Wang, X.-J. Gao, J.-G. Liang, and H.-S. Hou, "An X/Ku-band focusing anisotropic metasurface for low cross-polarization lens antenna application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 159, 79-91, 2017.
23. Cai, T., G.-M. Wang, J.-G. Liang, Y.-Q. Zhuang, and T.-J. Li, "High-performance transmissive meta-surface for C-/X-band lens antenna application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 7, 3598-3606, 2017.
24. Zhao, R., L. Huang, and Y. Wang, "Recent advances in multi-dimensional metasurfaces holographic technologies," PhotoniX, Vol. 1, No. 1, 1-24, 2020.
25. Ryan, C. G., M. R. Chaharmir, J. Shaker, J. R. Bray, Y. M. Antar, and A. Ittipiboon, "A wideband transmitarray using dual-resonant double square rings," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 5, 1486-1493, 2010.
26. Li, H., G. Wang, H.-X. Xu, T. Cai, and J. Liang, "X-band phase-gradient metasurface for high- gain lens antenna application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 11, 5144-5149, 2015.
27. Abdelrahman, A. H., F. Yang, A. Z. Elsherbeni, and P. Nayeri, "Analysis and design of transmitarray antennas," Synthesis Lectures on Antennas, Vol. 6, No. 1, 1-175, 2017.
28. Fan, J., Y. Cheng, and B. He, "High-efficiency ultrathin terahertz geometric metasurface for fullspace wavefront manipulation at two frequencies," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 54, No. 11, 115101, 2021.
29. Jia, S. L., X. Wan, D. Bao, Y. J. Zhao, and T. J. Cui, "Independent controls of orthogonally polarized transmitted waves using a huygens metasurface," Laser & Photonics Reviews, Vol. 9, No. 5, 545-553, 2015.
30. Ma, H. F., G. Z. Wang, G. S. Kong, and T. J. Cui, "Independent controls of differently-polarized re ected waves by anisotropic metasurfaces," Scientic Reports, Vol. 5, 9605, 2015.
31. Kumar, V. and B. Ghosh, "Dual-band at-top pattern synthesis using phase gradient metasurface," 2020 International Symposium on Antennas & Propagation (APSYM), 105-108, IEEE, 2020.
32. Maximidis, R., A. Smolders, G. Toso, and D. Caratelli, "Planar reactively loaded array antenna with at-top radiation pattern characteristics," 2020 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and North American Radio Science Meeting, 2091-2092, IEEE, 2020.