A Clown-shaped patch antenna for super wideband applications is presented. The radiator is placed on a 1.6 mm thick, RT/Duroid 5880 substrate and is fed using a 50 Ω symmetric coplanar waveguide. The size of the proposed antenna is 26 × 27 mm2 (0.256λL × 0.266λL, where λL is the wavelength at the lower band edge frequency i.e. 2.96 GHz). The radiator is a combination of an ellipse, a rectangle, and a triangle. An impedance bandwidth of 2.96 GHz to more than 100 GHz (i.e. more than 33.78:1 ratio bandwidth) is achieved. Nearly-omnidirectional radiation patterns with an average gain of 6 dBi are achieved. A fractional bandwidth greater than 188.5%, a size reduction of ~97%, and a comparable bandwidth dimension ratio of 2768 are achieved. The investigated antenna has additional advantages like compactness, planar geometry, and super-wide bandwidth.
2. Wiesbeck, W., G. Adamiuk, and C. Sturm, "Basic properties and design principles of UWB antennas," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 2, 372-385, 2009.
3. Electronic Communications Committee, "The European table of frequency allocations and applications in the frequency range 8.4 kHz to 3000 GHz," European Conf. Postal and Telecommunications Administrations, 132-133, February 2013.
4. Rao, Q. and W. Geyi, "Compact multi-band antenna for handheld devices," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 10, 3337-3339, 2009.
5. Standard, F.C.C., "First-order and report, revision of part 15 of the commission's rules regarding UWB transmission systems,", 2002.
6. Balani, W., M. Sarvagya, T. Ali, P. M. M. Manohara, and S. Das, "Design techniques of super wideband antenna-existing and future prospective," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 141241-141257, 2019.
7. Tran, D., P. Aubry, A. Szilagyi, I. E. Lager, O. Yarovyi, and L. P. Ligthart, "On the design of a super wideband antenna," Ultra Wideband, 399-427, Intech Open Limited, London, U.K., 2010.
8. Dong, Y., W. Hong, L. Liu, Y. Zhang, and Z. Kuai, "Performance analysis of a printed super- wideband antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 4, 949-956, 2009.
9. Chaudhary, A. K. and M. Manohar, "Design and analysis of a compact wideband monopole patch antenna for future handheld gadgets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 109, 227-241, 2021.
10. Singhal, S., "Feather-shaped super wideband MIMO antenna," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, 1-9, 2020.
11. Dey, S., Md. S.Aren, and N. C. Karmakar, "Design and experimental analysis of a novel compact and exible super wide band antenna for 5G," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 46698-46708, 2021.
12. Balani, W., M. Sarvagya, A. Samasgikar, T. Ali, and P. Kumar, "Design and analysis of super wideband antenna for microwave applications," Sensors, Vol. 21, No. 2, 477, 2021.
13. Hasan, Md R., M. A. Riheen, P. Sekhar, and T. Karacolak, "Compact CPW-fed circular patch exible antenna for super-wideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 10, 1069-1073, 2020.
14. Yu, C., S. Yang, Y. Chen, W. Wang, L. Zhang, B. Li, and L. Wang, "A super-wideband and high isolation MIMO antenna system using a windmill-shaped decoupling structure," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 115767-115777, 2020.
15. Alluri, S. and N. Rangaswamy, "Compact high bandwidth dimension ratio steering-shaped super wideband antenna for future wireless communication applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 62, No. 12, 3985-3991, 2020.
16. Elhabchi, M., M. N. Sri, and R. Touahni, "A novel modied U-shaped microstrip antenna for Super Wideband (SWB) applications," Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, 1-8, 2020.
17. Okan, T., "A compact octagonal-ring monopole antenna for super wideband applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 62, No. 3, 1237-1244, 2020.
18. Singhal, S. and A. K. Singh, "Elliptical monopole based super wideband fractal antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 62, No. 3, 1324-1328, 2020.
19. Bhattacharya, A., B. Roy, and A. K. Bhattacharjee, "Compact, isolation enhanced, band- notched SWB-MIMO antenna suited for wireless personal communications," Wireless Personal Communications, 1-18, 2020.
20. Rahman, S. U., Q. Cao, H. Ullah, and H. Khalil, "Compact design of trapezoid shape monopole antenna for SWB application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 61, No. 8, 1931-1937, 2019.
21. Figueroa-Torres, C. A., J. L. Medina-Monroy, H. Lobato-Morales, R. A. Chavez-Perez, and A. Calvillo-Tellez, "A novel fractal antenna based on the Sierpinski structure for super wide-band applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 5, 1148-1153, 2017.
22. Singhal, S. and A. K. Singh, "Asymmetrically CPW-fed circle inscribed hexagonal super wideband fractal antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 12, 2794-2799, 2016.
23. Manohar, M., R. S. Kshetrimayum, and A. K. Gogoi, "Printed monopole antenna with tapered feed line, feed region, and patch for super wideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 1, 39-45, 2014.
24. Okas, P., A. Sharma, and R. K. Gangwar, "Circular base loaded modied rectangular monopole radiator for super wideband application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 10, 2421-2428, 2017.
25. Okas, P., A. Sharma, G. Das, and R. K. Gangwar, "Elliptical slot-loaded partially segmented circular monopole antenna for super wideband application," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 88, 63-69, 2018.
26. Okas, P., A. Sharma, and R. K. Gangwar, "Super-wideband CPW fed modied square monopole antenna with stabilized radiation characteristics," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 3, 568-575, 2018.
27. Quintero, G., J. F. Zurcher, and A. K. Skrivervik, "System Fidelity factor: A new method for comparing UWB antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 7, 2502-2512, 2011.
28. Kwon, D.-H., "Effect of antenna gain and group delay variations on pulse-preserving capabilities of ultra-wideband antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 8, 2208-2215, 2006.