In this paper, a low-profile fractal antenna with square ring slots is reported. The newly proposed fractal antenna includes circular ring radiating elements with orthogonally placed square shape slots to achieve ultra wideband operation. The compact antenna (32 × 28 × 1.6 mm3) is designed and fabricated on an FR4 dielectric substrate, and measurements are performed in the laboratory environment. The simulated and measured results demonstrate that the antenna has -10 dB impedance bandwidth of 9.4 GHz from 4.2 to 13.6 GHz in the ultra-wideband frequency. The measurement results reveal that the antenna has broadband radiation characteristics with peak gain of 5 dB in the desired band of operation. The proposed antenna has low cross polarization of -28 dB and radiation efficiency about 88% in the operating bandwidth. The large bandwidth, low cross polarization, and stable radiation characteristics of the proposed antenna confirm that the antenna may be suitable for ultra-wideband applications.
2. Vendik, I. B., A. Rusakov, K. Kanjanasit, J. Hong, and D. Filonov, "Ultra-wideband (UWB) planar antenna with single, dual and triple-band notched characteristic based on electric ring resonator," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1597-1600, 2017.
3. Yazdi, M. and N. Komjani, "Planer UWB monopole antenna with dual band-notched characteristics for UWB application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, 241-245, 2013.
4. Moosazadeh, M. and S. Kharkovsky, "A compact high-gain and front-to-back ratio elliptically tapered antipodal Vivaldi antenna with trapezoid-shaped dielectric lens," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 552-555, 2016.
5. Foged, L. J., A. Giacomini, and R. Morbidini, "Dual-polarized corrugated horns for advanced measurement applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 6, 199-204, 2010.
6. Patnam, H. R., S. Sujitha, and K. T. Selvan, "A multiband mutipolarization shared-aperture antenna: Design and evaluation," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 59, No. 4, 26-37, 2017.
7. Chauloux, A., F. Colombel, M. Himdi, J. L. Lasserre, and P. Pouliguen, "Low-return-loss printed log-periodic dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 503-50, 2014.
8. Tizyi, H., F. Riouch, A. Tribak, A. Najid, and A. M. Sanchez, "CPW and microstrip line-fed compact fractal antenna for UWB-RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 65, 201-209, 2016.
9. Sharma, N., V. Sharma, and S. S. Bhatia, "A novel hybrid fractal antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 73, 25-35, 2018.
10. Amini, A., H. Oraizi, and M. A. C. Zadeh, "Miniaturized UWB log-periodic square fractal antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1322-1325, 2015.
11. Pandey, G. K., H. Verma, and M. K. Meshram, "Compact antipodal Vivaldi antenna for UWB applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 4, 308-310, 2015.
12. Soni, B. K. and R. Singhai, "Design and analysis of minkowskized hybrid fractal like antenna for multiband operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 80, 117-126, 2018.
13. Joshi, M. P., V. J. Gond, and J. J. Chopade, "Saw-Tooth shaped sequentially rotated fractal boundary square microstrip patch antenna for wireless application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 94, 109-115, 2020.
14. Darimireddy, N. K., R. R. Reddy, and A. M. Prasad, "A miniaturized hexagonal-triangular fractal antenna for wide-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 60, No. 2, 104-110, 2018.
15. Goswami, P. K. and G. Goswami, "Trident shape ultra-large band fractal slot EBG antenna for multipurpose IoT applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 96, 73-85, 2019.
16. Gorai, A., M. Pal, and R. Ghatak, "A compact fractal shaped antenna for ultrawideband and bluetooth wireless systems with WLAN rejection functionality," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2163-2166, 2017.