In order to satisfy the requirements of terahertz time-domain spectrum system under specific circumstances, an off-axis focus reflective polarization converter in terahertz band is proposed. By combining the principle of phase compensation and phase gradient metasurface, a reflective array containing units is designed. The phase distribution along the metasurface is calculated through the principle of optical path reversibility. Geometric rotation and resonant frequency modulation constitute the phase variation of the unit, which can be superimposed on each other without interference. Compared with the conventional reflective polarization converter in terahertz band, the proposed one could deflect the normally incident terahertz wave while providing larger energy at the focus. The simulation results show that the proposed polarization converter has good performance in both polarization conversion and electromagnetic focus, which has significant practical application in numerous situations.
2. Suzuki, T., et al., "Negative refractive index metamaterial with high transmission, low reflection, and low loss in the terahertz waveband," Optics Express, Vol. 26, No. 7, 8314-8324, 2018.
3. Luo, H. and Y. Cheng, "Dual-band terahertz perfect metasurface absorber based on bi-layered all-dielectric resonator structure," Optical Materials, Vol. 96, 109279, 2019.
4. Tian, Y., et al., "High transmission focusing lenses based on ultrathin all-dielectric Huygens' metasurfaces," Optical Materials, Vol. 109, 110358, 2020.
5. Katrodiya, D., et al., "Metasurface based broadband solar absorber," Optical Materials, Vol. 89, 34-41, 2019.
6. Khan, A. D., et al., "Light absorption enhancement in tri-layered composite metasurface absorber for solar cell applications," Optical Materials, Vol. 84, 195-198, 2018.
7. Bashirpour, M., et al., "Terahertz radiation enhancement in dipole photoconductive antenna on LT-GaAs using a gold plasmonic nanodisk array," Optics & Laser Technology, Vol. 120, 105726, 2019.
8. Li, J., et al., "Addressable metasurfaces for dynamic holography and optical information encryption," Science Advances, Vol. 4, No. 6, eaar6768, 2018.
9. Grady, N. K., et al., "Terahertz metamaterials for linear polarization conversion and anomalous refraction,", Vol. 340, No. 6138, 1304-1307, 2013.
10. Chen, X., et al., "High-efficiency compact circularly polarized microstrip antenna with wide beamwidth for airborne communication," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1518-1521, 2016.
11. Xu, K.-D., et al., "Tunable multi-band terahertz absorber using a single-layer square graphene ring structure with T-shaped graphene strips," Optics Express, Vol. 28, No. 8, 2020, doi:10.1364/OE.390835.
12. Wen, D., et al., "Metasurface for characterization of the polarization state of light," Optics Express, Vol. 23, No. 8, 10272-10281, 2015.
13. Zheng, Q., et al., "Wideband, wide-angle coding phase gradient metasurfaces based on Pancharatnam-Berry phase," Scientic Reports, Vol. 7, No. 1, 1-13, 2017.
14. Xu, J., et al., "Ultra-broadband linear polarization converter based on anisotropic metasurface," Optics Express, Vol. 26, No. 20, 26235-26241, 2018.
15. Luo, F., et al., "Multiband terahertz re ective polarizer based on asymmetric L-shaped split-ring-resonators metasurface," 2016 11th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation and EM Theory, ISAPE). IEEE, 2016.
16. Zou, M., M. Su, and H. Yu, "Ultra-broadband and wide-angle terahertz polarization converter based on symmetrical anchor-shaped metamaterial," Optical Materials, Vol. 107, 110062, 2020.
17. Gandhi, C., P. R. Babu, and K. Senthilnathan, "Designing abroadband terahertz half-wave plate using an anisotropic metasurface," Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 40, No. 5, 500-515, 2019.
18. Cao, H., et al., "Dual-band polarization angle independent 90 polarization rotator using chiral metamaterial," IEICE Electronics Express, Vol. 13, No. 15, 20160583-20160583, 2016.
19. Wang, Z., et al., "Huygens metasurface holograms with the modulation of focal energy distribution," Advanced Optical Materials, Vol. 6, No. 12, 1800121, 2018.
20. Yu, N., et al., "Light propagation with phase discontinuities: generalized laws of reflection and refraction," Science, Vol. 334, No. 6054, 333-337, 2011.
21. Yu, J.-B., et al., "High-efficiency ultra-wideband polarization conversion metasurfaces based on split elliptical ring resonators," Acta PhysicaSinica, Vol. 64, No. 17, 2015.
22. Zhuang, Y.-Q., et al., "Design of re ective linear-circular polarization converter based on phase gradient metasurface," Acta PhysicaSinica, Vol. 65, No. 15, 2016.
23. Chakravarty, S. and D. Mitra, "A Novel Ultra-Wideband and Multifunctional Re ective Polarization Converter," 2020 IEEE 17th India Council International Conference, INDICON). IEEE, 2020.
24. Yin, B. and M. Yue, "Broadband terahertz polarization converter with anomalous reflection based on phase gradient metasurface," Optics Communications, Prepublish, 2021, doi: 10.1016/J.OPTCOM.2021.126996.
25. Shi, H., et al., "Gradient metasurface with both polarization-controlled directional surface wave coupling and anomalous reflection," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 104-107, 2014.
26. Zhang, P., et al., "Design, measurement and analysis of near-eld focusing re ective metasurface for dual-polarization and multi-focus wireless power transfer," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 110387-110399, 2019.