A 37-43 GHz endfire antenna based on ball grid array (BGA) packaging is proposed for the fifth-generation (5G) wireless system. The antenna consists of a miniaturized radiator and reflector. Besides, the radiator is fed by a substrate integrated waveguide (SIW). Furthermore, the RF transition from the SIW to grounded coplanar waveguide (GCPW) and vertical quasi-coaxial is realized on the substrate. The antenna is implemented on a single-layer substrate using standard printed circuit board (PCB) technology to reduce costs. Then, the cost-effective antenna element is reflow soldered with solder balls to form a BGA packaging. The advantages of the BGA packaging and the three-dimensional (3D) integration are discussed in detail. The miniature packaging achieves a compact size of 7 mm × 3.4 mm × 0.6 mm. Finally, a prototype was manufactured to verify the performance. The measurement results show that the proposed antenna is a good candidate for 5G millimeter-wave (mmWave) New Radio (NR) applications.
2. Rappaport, T. S., et al., "Millimeter wave mobile communications for 5G cellular: It will work!," IEEE Access, Vol. 1, 335-349, 2013.
3. Tang, M., T. Shi, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "A study of 28 GHz, planar, multilayered, electrically small, broadside radiating, huygens source antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 12, 6345-6354, Dec. 2017.
4. Lin, W., R. W. Ziolkowski, and T. C. Baum, "28 GHz compact omnidirectional circularly polarized antenna for device-to-device communications in the future 5G systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 12, 6904-6914, Dec. 2017.
5. Park, J., J. Ko, H. Kwon, B. Kang, B. Park, and D. Kim, "A tilted combined beam antenna for 5G communications using a 28-GHz band," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 1685-1688, 2016.
6. Zhang, Y., "Antenna-in-package technology: Its early development [historical corner]," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 61, No. 3, 111-118, Jun. 2019.
7. Zhang, Y. and J. Mao, "An overview of the development of antenna-in-package technology for highly integrated wireless devices," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 107, No. 11, 2265-2280, Nov. 2019.
8. Watanabe, A. O., M. Ali, S. Y. B. Sayeed, R. R. Tummala, and M. R. Pulugurtha, "A review of 5G front-end systems package integration," IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 11, No. 1, 118-133, Jan. 2021.
9. Ali, M., et al., "Package-integrated, wideband power dividing networks and antenna arrays for 28-GHz 5G new radio bands," IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 10, No. 9, 1515-1523, Sep. 2020.
10. Jin, C., V. N. Sekhar, X. Bao, B. Chen, B. Zheng, and R. Li, "Antenna-in-package design based on wafer-level packaging with through silicon via technology," IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 3, No. 9, 1498-1505, Sep. 2013.
11. Choi, J., D. Choi, J. Lee, W. Hwang, and W. Hong, "Adaptive 5G architecture for an mmWave antenna front-end package consisting of tunable matching network and surface-mount technology," IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 10, No. 12, 2037-2046, Dec. 2020.
12. Park, J., H. Seong, Y. N. Whang, and W. Hong, "Energy-efficient 5G phased arrays incorporating vertically polarized endre planar folded slot antenna for mmWave mobile terminals," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 68, No. 1, 230-241, Jan. 2020.
13. Beer, S., H. Gulan, C. Rusch, and T. Zwick, "Coplanar 122-GHz antenna array with air cavity re ector for integration in plastic packages," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 160-163, 2012.
14. Beer, S., et al., "An integrated 122-GHz antenna array with wire bond compensation for SMT radar sensors," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 12, 5976-5983, Dec. 2013.
15. Liu, D., X. Gu, C. W. Baks, and A. Valdes-Garcia, "Antenna-in-package design considerations for Ka-band 5G communication applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 12, 6372-6379, Dec. 2017.
16. Gu, X., et al., "Development, implementation, and characterization of a 64-element dual-polarized phased-array antenna module for 28-GHz high-speed data communications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 67, No. 7, 2975-2984, Jul. 2019.
17. Tsai, C. H., et al., "Fabrication and characterization of millimeter wave 3D InFO dipole antenna array integrated with CMOS front-end circuits," 2019 IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM), 25.3.1-25.3.4, Dec. 2019.
18. Zhang, Y. P., "Integration of microstrip patch antenna on ceramic ball grid array package," Electron. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 5, 207-208, Feb. 2002.
19. Zhang, Y. P., "Integrated circuit ceramic ball grid array package antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 10, 2538-2544, Oct. 2004.
20. Sun, M., Y. P. Zhang, D. Liu, K. M. Chua, and L. L. Wai, "A ball grid array package with a microstrip grid array antenna for a single-chip 60-GHz receiver," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 6, 2134-2140, Jun. 2011.
21. Tong, Z., A. Fischer, A. Stelzer, and L. Maurer, "Radiation performance enhancement of E-band antenna in package," IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 3, No. 11, 1953-1959, Nov. 2013.
22. Kangasvieri, T., J. Halme, J. Vahakangas, and M. Lahti, "Broadband BGA-via transitions for reliable RF/microwave LTCC-SiP module packaging," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 1, 34-36, Jan. 2008.