A new design of broadband cavity-backed slot antenna (CBSA) based on substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) technology is presented in this paper. An entire proposed antenna is printed on a Rogers RT/Duroid 5870 substrate, which consists of the SIW cavity, bow-tie slot, microstrip line feed. The proper position and size of the bow-tie slot on top of the SIW cavity will generate the cavity modes, which can be merged to obtain the broadband response. Moreover, to understand the effects of the geometric dimensions of the broadband antenna on S11 are examined using parametric study. The final antenna configuration operates on a frequency band ranging from 9.25 GHz to 10.5 GHz with a fractional bandwidth of about 12.65% for the simulation part. The measured bandwidth for S11 is about 12.1% (9.3 GHz to 10.5 GHz). The proposed antenna has a good measured gain of 6 dBi and 6.6 dBi, at 9.55 GHz and 10.35 GHz, respectively. The gain, the reflection coefficient, and the radiation patterns of the fabricated antenna are measured and indicated a very good agreement with simulations.
2. Huang, J. F. and C. W. Kuo, "CPW fed bow-tie slot antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 5, 358-360, 1998.
3. Locker, C., T. Vaupel, and T. F. Eibert, "Radiation efficient unidirectional low-profile slot antenna element for X-band application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 8, 2765-2768, 2005.
4. Harikowa, J., H. Arai, and N. Goto, "Cavity-backed wide slot antenna," IEE Proceedings H --- Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 136, No. 1, 29-33, 1989.
5. Zhou, S. G., G. L. Huang, and T. H. Chio, "A low profile wideband cavity-backed bowtie antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1422-1426, 2013.
6. Basit, M. A., G. Wen, R. Nouman, and X. Xue, "A wide-band cavity-backed slot antenna for end-fire radiation," Microwave & Optical Tech. Letters, Vol. 58, No. 1, 193-196, 2016.
7. Uchimura, H., T. Takenoshita, and M. Fujii, "Development of a laminated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 46, No. 12, 2438-2443, 1998.
8. Bozzi, M., A. Geordiadis, and K. Wu, "Review of substrate-integrated waveguide circuits and antennas," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, No. 8, 909-920, 2011.
9. Lokeshwar, B., D. Venkatasekhar, and A. Sudhakar, "Dual-band low profile SIW cavity-backed antenna by using bilateral slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 100, 263-273, 2020.
10. Luo, G. Q., Z. F. Hu, Y. Liang, L. Y. Yu, and L. L. Sun, "Development of low profile cavity backed crossed slot antennas for planar integration," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 2972-2979, 2009.
11. Bollavathi, L., V. Dorai, and S. Alapati, "Wideband planar substrate integrated waveguide cavity- backed amended dumbbell-shaped slot antenna," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 127, 153489, 2020.
12. Dokuparthi, J. and A. Sudhakar, "Dual band half mode SIW semicircular cavity back slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 87, 7-14, 2019.
13. Lacik, J., "Circularly polarized SIW square ring-slot antenna for X-band applications," Microwave & Optical Tech. Letters, Vol. 54, No. 11, 2590-2594, 2012.
14. Mukherjee, S., A. Biswas, and K. V. Srivastava, "Bandwidth enhancement of substrate integrated waveguide cavity backed slot antenna by offset feeding technique," IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conf. (AEMC), Dec. 2013.
15. Luo, G. Q., Z. F. Hu, W. J. Li, X. H. Zhang, L. L. Sun, and J. F. Zheng, "Bandwidth-enhanced low-profile cavity-backed slot antenna by using hybrid SIW cavity modes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 4, 1698-1704, 2012.
16. Varnoosfadetrani, M. V., J. Lu, and B. Zhu, "Matching slot role in bandwidth enhancement of SIW cavity-backed slot antenna," Asia-Pacic Conf. on Antennas and Propag., 244-247, 2014.
17. Lokeshwar, B., D. Venkatasekhar, and A. Sudhakar, "Wideband low-profile SIW cavity-backed antenna bilateral slots antenna for X-band application," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 97, 157-166, 2020.
18. Mukherjee, S., A. Biswas, and K. V. Srivastava, "Broadband substrate integrated waveguide cavity-backedbow-tie slot antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1152-1155, 2014.
19. Dashti, H. and M. H. Neshati, "Development of low profile patch and semi-circular SIW cavity hybrid antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 69, No. 9, 4481-4488, 2014.
20. Kumar, A. and S. Raghavan, "Wideband slotted substrate integrated waveguide cavity-backed antenna for Ku-band application," Microwave & Optical Tech. Letters, Vol. 59, 1613-1619, 2017.