For the first time, an extended hemispherical integrated lens antenna on a low-cost substrate, FR408HR, is presented. The antenna is designed for industrial and automotive radar sensor applications operating in the 24 GHz ISM band. The proposed antenna has a gain of 15.2 dBi, low sidelobes, and half-power beamwidth of 16 degrees. To reduce the cost, we used low loss materials; Teflon for the lens and low-cost FR408HR as a patch antenna substrate. The size of the reported 24 GHz antenna is small. The diameter of the base of the lens is 38 mm (3 times of free space wavelength), and its height is 43.5 mm (with an extended height of 24.5 mm). Simulated results match well with measurements.
2. Binzer, T., M. Klar, and V. GroB, "Development of 77 GHz radar lens antennas for automotive applications based on given requirements," 2007 2nd International ITG Conference on Antennas, 205-209, Munich, 2007.
3. Lutz, S. and T. Walter, "Lens based 77 GHz TDM MIMO radar sensor for angular estimation in multitarget environments," 2013 European Radar Conference, 212-215, Nuremberg, 2013.
4. Wang, H. N., Y. T. Huang, and S. J. Chung, "A dielectric lens antenna feeding with microstrip patch antennas for 77 GHz long range radar application," 2012 Asia Pacic Microwave Conference Proceedings, 412-414, Kaohsiung, 2012.
5. Thornton, J. and K.-C. Huang, Modern Lens Antennas for Communications Engineering, Vol. 39, John Wiley & Sons, 2013.
6. Artemenko, A., A. Mozharovskiy, A. Maltsev, R. Maslennikov, A. Sevastyanov, and V. Ssorin, "2D electronically beam steerable integrated lens antennas for mmWave applications," 2012 42nd European Microwave Conference, 213-216, Amsterdam, 2012.
7. Nguyen, N. T., A. Rolland, A. V. Boriskin, G. Valerio, L. Le Coq, and R. Sauleau, "Size and weight reduction of integrated lens antennas using a cylindrical air cavity," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 12, 5993-5998, Dec. 2012.
8. Mozharovskiy, A., A. Artemenko, V. Ssorin, R. Maslennikov, and A. Sevastyanov, "High gain millimeter-wave lens antennas with improved aperture efficiency," 2015 9th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, Lisbon, 2015.
9. Anderson, C. S., S. R. Aroor, and R. M. Henderson, "Closed-form and dispersive model considerations for relative permittivity extraction at millimetre-wave frequencies," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 14, 1638-1644, 2015.
10. Vorst van der, M. J. M., "Integrated lens antennas for submillimetre-wave applications,", Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, Eindhoven, 1999, DOI: 10.6100/IR521250.
11. Kobayashi, H. and Y. Yasuoka, "Receiving properties of extended hemispherical lens coupled slot antennas for 94 GHz millimeter wave radiation," Electronics and Communications in Japan Part I --- Communications | Electron. Commun. Jpn. I., Vol. 84, 32-40, 2001, 10.1002/1520-6424(200106)84:63.0.CO;2-V.
12. Komljenovic, T., "Lens antennas --- Analysis and synthesis at mm-waves,".
13. Fernandes, C. A., E. B. Lima, and J. R. Costa, "Dielectric lens antennas," Handbook of Antenna Technologies, 1-54, 2014.
14. Porter, B. G., L. L. Rauth, J. R. Mura, and S. S. Gearhart, "Dual-polarized slot-coupled patch antennas on Duroid with te on lenses for 76.5-GHz automotive radar systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 12, 1836-1842, Dec. 1999.
15. Karttunen, A., J. Ala-Laurinaho, R. Sauleau, and A. V. Raisanen, "A study of extended hemispherical lenses for a high-gain beam-steering antenna," Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-5, Barcelona, 2010.
16. Pourahmadazar, J. and T. A. Denidni, "Extended hemispherical integrated lens antenna for V-band application," 32nd URSI GASS, Montreal, Aug. 19-26, 2017.