This letter proposes a two element multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) antenna with compact decoupling structure for 5G wireless communication applications. A compact decoupling structure was developed based on the elliptic curve, achieving isolation between the two antenna elements with a wideband response. The proposed concept is discussed and verified numerically and experimentally. The MIMO antenna system has demonstrated a wideband impedance matching with high isolation capability, while maintaining a good far-field and MIMO performance.
2. Wallace, J., M. Jensen, A. Swindlehurst, and B. Jeffs, "Experimental characterization of the MIMO wireless channel: Data acquisition and analysis," IEEE Transactions Wireless Commun., Vol. 2, No. 2, 335-343, March 2003.
3. Pozar, D. M., "Considerations for millimeter wave printed antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, No. 5, 740-747, September 1983.
4. Kildal, P.-S. and K. Rosengren, "Correlation and capacity of MIMO systems and mutual coupling, radiation efficiency and diversity gain of their antennas: Simulations and measurements in a reverberation chamber," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 42, No. 12, 104-112, December 2004.
5. Zhang, S., B. K. Lau, A. Sunesson, and S. He, "Closely-packed UWB MIMO/diversity antenna with different patterns and polarizations for USB dongle applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 9, 4372-4380, September 2012.
6. Pllo, M., et al., "A broadband pattern diversity annular slot antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1596-1600, March 2012.
7. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with Electromagnetic Band-Gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, October 2003.
8. Zhu, F.-G., J.-D. Xu, and Q. Xu, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely packed antenna elements using defected ground structure," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 12, 601-602, 2009.
9. Diallo, A., "Study and reduction of the mutual coupling between two mobile phone PIFAs operating in the DCS1800 and UMTS bands," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 11, 3063-3073, November 2006.
10. Bait-Suwailam, M. M., O. Siddiqui, and O. Ramahi, "Mutual coupling reduction between microstrip patch antennas using slotted-complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 876-878, 2010.
11. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, May 2003.
12. Rajo-Iglesias, E., O. Quevedo-Teruel, and L. Inclan-Sanchez, "Mutual coupling reduction in patch antenna arrays by using a planar EBG structure and a multilayer dielectric substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 6, 1648-1655, June 2008.
13. Farahani, H. S., M. Veysi, M. Kamyab, and A. Tadjalli, "Mutual coupling reduction in patch antenna arrays using a UC-EBG superstrate," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 57-59, 2010.
14. Alsath, M. G. N., M. Kanagasabai, and B. Balasubramanian, "Implementation of slotted meander- line resonators for isolation enhancement in microstrip patch antenna arrays," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 15-18, 2013.
15. Park, J., M. Rahman, and H. N. Chen, "Isolation enhancement of wide-band MIMO array antennas utilizing resistive loading," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 81020-81026, 2019.
16. Mohamadzade, B., A. Lalbakhsh, R. B. V. B. Simorangkir, A. Rezaee, and R. M. Hashmi, "Mutual coupling reduction in microstrip array antenna by employing cut side patches and EBG structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 89, 179-187, 2020.