The present paper introduces the analysis and design of a near field RFID tag for IoT in sub-six GHz 5G frequency band. The proposed radio frequency identification technique is based on the near field interaction between the RFID tag and a wideband antenna reader. This near field interaction adjusts the resonances of the wideband antenna according to the used RFID tag. In addition, the far field RCS of the RFID tag is also investigated to study the relation between the near field and the far field responses of the proposed RFID tag. The proposed RFID tag is characterized with adjustable six resonances based on concentric square rings printed on a dielectric slab. For manufacturing and experimental verification, the dielectric slab is assumed to be FR-4. However, the proposed structure can be generalized to other thin and flexible substrates like paper, plastic and textile.
2. Ersoz, S., A. F. Inal, A. Aktepe, and A. K. Turker, "A literature review on RFID applications in advanced manufacturing systems," International Conference on Advanced Technologies, Computer Engineering and Science (ICATCES'18), 11-13, Safranbolu, Turkey, May 2018.
3. Kamran, A., H. Shah, and P. Kingston, "RFID applications: An introductory and exploratory study," IJCSI International Journal of Computer Science Issues, Vol. 7, No. 1, 1-7, January 2010.
4. Parkash, D., T. Kundu, and P. Kaur, "The RFID technology and its applications: A review," International Journal of Electronics, Communication & Instrumentation Engineering Research and Development, 111-113, 2012.
5. Alyahya, S., Q. Wang, and N. Bennett, "Application and integration of an RFID-enabled warehousing management system --- A feasibility study," Journal of Industrial Information Integration, Vol. 4, 15-25, 2016.
6. Eldefrawy, M. H. and M. K. Khan, "Banknote validation through an embedded RFID chip and an NFC-enabled smartphone," Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Vol. 2015, Article ID 264514, 8 pages, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, 2015.
7. Vena, A., E. Perret, S. Tedjini, G. Eymin, P. Tourtollet, A. Delattre, F. Garet, and Y. Boutant, "Design of chipless RFID tags printed on paper by flexography," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 12, 5868-5877, 2013.
8. Herrojo, C., M. Moras, F. Paredes, A. Nunez, E. Ramon, J. Mata-Contreras, and F. Martin, "Very low-cost 80-bit chipless-RFID tags inkjet printed on ordinary paper," Technologies, Vol. 6, No. 2, 52, 2018.
9. Waris, B., L. Ukkonen, J. Virkki, and T. Bjorninen, "Wearable passive UHF RFID tag based on a split ring antenna," IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS), 2017.
10. Lopez-Soriano, S. and J. Parron, "Wearable RFID tag antenna for healthcare applications," IEEE- APS Topical Conference on Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications (APWC), 7-11, Turin, Italy, October 2015.
11. Jabeen, I., A. Ejaz, S. M. Kabir, A. Akram, Y. Amin, and H. Tenhunen, "Octagonal shaped flexible chipless RFID tag for Internet of Things," International Conference on Electrical, Communication, and Computer Engineering (ICECCE), 1-4, 2019.
12. Boularess, O., L. Ladhar, A. Affandi, and S. Tedjini, "Analysis of RCS signatures of chipless RFID tags based on Arabic alphabet letters with punctuation," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 34, No. 5, 2019.
13. Sharma, V., S. Malhotra, and M. Hashmi, "Slot resonator based novel orientation independent chipless RFID tag configurations," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 19, No. 13, 5153-5160, 2019.
14. Preradovic, S., I. Balbin, N. C. Karmakar, and G. Swiegers, "A novel chipless RFID system based on planar multiresonators for barcode replacement," IEEE International Conference on RFID, The Venetian, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, April 2008.
15. Laila, D., R. Thomas, C. Nijas, and P. Mohanan, "A novel polarization independent chipless RFID tag using multiple resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 55, 61-66, 2015.
16. Karmakar, N. C., R. Koswatta, P. Kalansuriya, and E. Rubayet, Chipless RFID Reader Architecture, Artech House, 2013.
17. Karmakar, N. C., E. Md Amin, and J. K. Saha, Chipless RFID Sensors, John Wiley & Sons, 2016.
18. Jang, H. S., W. G. Lim, K. S. Oh, S. M. Moon, and J. W. Yu, "Design of low-cost chipless system using printable chipless tag with electromagnetic code," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, No. 11, 640-642, 2010.
19. Marindra, A. M. J. and G. Y. Tian, "Chipless RFID sensor for corrosion characterization based on frequency selective surface and feature fusion," Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 29, No. 12, 125010, 2020.
20. Marindra, A. M. J. and G. Y. Tian, "Multiresonance chipless RFID sensor tag for metal defect characterization using principal component analysis," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 19, No. 18, 8037-8046, 2019.