A low-profile, compact size and light weight wide band BPF prototype is presented for satellite communication applications (Ku-band). The proposed wideband BPF satisfies the International Telecommunication Union's (ITU) region 3 spectrum requirement. Direct broadcast service (DBS) and fixed satellite service (FSS) in transmitting mode, respectively, employ the frequency band 11.41-12.92 GHz. The proposed filter offers an impedance bandwidth of 1.5 GHz and group delay of 0.2 ns. The proposed wideband BPF is fabricated, and various parameters such as return loss, insertion loss, group delay and quality factor are measured. Miniaturization of filter size reveals the filter's suitability to use on smaller platforms with smaller surfaces.
2. Richard, J. C., M. K. Chandra, and R. M. Raafat, Microwave Filters for Communication Systems Fundamentals, Design and Applications, John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2017.
3. Ian, H., "Theory and Design of Microwave Filters," IET Electromagnetic Waves Series 48, IET, London, UK, 2006.
4. Al-Yasir, Y. I. A., N. Ojaroudi Parchin, A. M. Abdul Khaleq, M. S. Bakr, and R. A. Abd-Alhameed, "A survey of differential-fed microstrip bandpass filters: Recent techniques and challenges," Sensors, 2356, 2020.
5. Hou, Z., C. Liu, B. Zhang, and R. Song, "Dual-/Tri-wideband bandpass filter with high selectivity and adjustable passband for 5G mid-band mobile communications," Electronics, 205, 2020.
6. Guan, Y., Y. Wu, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A bidirectional absorptive common-mode filter based on interdigitated microstrip coupled lines for 5G green communications," IEEE Access, 20759-20769, 2020.
7. Al-Yasir, Y. I. A., N. O. Parchin, A. Abdul Khaleq, K. Hameed, M. Al-Sadoon, and R. Abd-Alhameed, "Design, simulation and implementation of very compact dual-band microstrip bandpass filter for 4G and 5G applications," Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Synthesis, Modelling, Analysis and Simulation Methods and Applications to Circuit Design (SMACD), 41-44, Lausanne, Switzerland, July 2019.
8. Yang, Q., X. Xiong, Y. Wu, L. Wang, and H. Xiao, "Design of microstrip tapped-hairpin dual-band pass filter for Ku-band application," 2010 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 772-774, Chengdu, 2018.
9. Sheen, J., Y. Cheng, and W. Liu, "Ku-band bandpass filter design with compact size and broad stopband by pHEMT process," 2019 Photonics & Electromagnetics Research Symposium --- Spring (PIERS --- Spring), 1022-1026, Rome, Italy, June 17-20, 2019.
10. Panda, C. S., R. Nayak, and S. K. Behera, "Design and analysis of a compact Substrate Integrated Waveguide bandpass filter for Ku band applications," 2016 Online International Conference on Green Engineering and Technologies (IC-GET), 1-5, Coimbatore, 2020.
11. Ghatak, R., P. Sarkar, R. K. Mishra, and D. R. Poddar, "A compact UWB bandpass filter with embedded SIR as band notch structure," IEEE Microwave Wireless Component Letters, 261-263, 2011.
12. Liu, H., T. Liu, Q. Zhang, B. Ren, and P. Wen, "Compact balanced bandpass filter design using asymmetric SIR pairs and spoof surface plasmon polariton feeding structure," IEEE Microwave Wireless Component Letters, 987-989, 2018.
13. Yuceer, M., "A reconfigurable microwave combline filter," IEEE Transactions on Circuits Systems II Express Briefs, 84-88, 2016.
14. Cho, Y., H. Baek, H. Lee, and S. Yun, "A dual-band combline bandpass filter loaded by lumped series resonators," IEEE Microwave Wireless Component Letters, 626-628, 2009.
15. Velez, P., J. Naqui, A. Fernandez-Prieto, M. Duran-Sindreu, J. Bonache, J. Martel, F. Medina, and F. Martin, "Differential bandpass filter with common-mode suppression based on open split ring resonators and open complementary split ring resonators," IEEE Microwave Wireless Component Letters, 22-24, 2013.