In this paper, a Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) band pass filter loaded with a square Complementary Split Ring Resonator (CSRR) etched with Defected Ground Structure (DGS) is proposed. SIW is a promising candidate for the design and development of various microwave and millimeter wave components useful in communication systems. Due to the evanescent mode propagation and TE10 mode of the cavity, dual band (5.57/7.84 GHz) filtering is achieved with a 3-dB fractional bandwidth (FBW) of 6.8% and 4.1% respectively. The dual bands achieve a low insertion loss of 1.8 dB and 2 dB respectively. Cursor head DGS improves the out of band rejection to a greater level. The configuration is investigated with its corresponding circuit and simulated using Computer Simulation Technology (CST) software. The prototype is fabricated using a Rogers substrate with εr of 3.5 and tested. This prototype finds its application in C band satellite communication systems. The measured results are consistent with the simulated ones.
2. Ye, C. S., et al., "Design of a compact CPW bandpass filter used for UWB application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 2, 298-300, 2009.
3. Gunavathi, N. and D. Sriram Kumar, "CPW-fed monopole antenna with reduced radiation hazards towards human head using metallic thin-wire mesh for 802.11ac application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters,, Vol. 57, No. 11, 2684-2687, 2015.
4. Gunavathi, N. and D. Sriram Kumar, "Estimation of resonant frequency and bandwidth of compact unilateral coplanar waveguide-fed Ag shaped monopole antennas using artificial neural network," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 2, 337-342, 2015.
5. Gunavathi, N. and D. Sriram Kumar, "Miniaturized unilateral coplanar waveguide-fed asymmetric planar antenna with reduced radiation hazards for 802.11ac application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 2, 337-342, 2016.
6. Debnath, P. and S. Chatterjee, "Substrate integrated waveguide antennas and arrays," 1st International Conference on Electronics, Materials Engineering and Nano-Technology (IEMENTech), 1-6, 2017.
7. Chen, X. P. and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide filters: Design techniques and structure innovations," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 15, No. 6, 121-133, 2014.
8. Doghri, A., T. Djera, A. Ghiotto, and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide directional couplers for compact three-dimensional integrated circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 63, No. 1, 209-219, 2015.
9. Khan, A. A. and M. K. Mandal, "Miniaturized Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) power dividers," IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, No. 11, 888-890, 2016.
10. Baena, J. D., et al., "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary split-ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 4, 1451-1461, 2005.
11. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, J. D. Baena, R. Marques, F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, "Effective negative-ε stopband microstrip lines based on complementary split ring resonators," IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 6, 280-282, 2004.
12. Rajalakshmi, P. and N. Gunavathi, "Gain enhancement of cross shaped patch antenna for IEEE 802.11ax Wi-Fi applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 80, 91-99, 2018.
13. Park, J. I., et al., "Modeling of a photonic bandgap and its application for the low-pass filter design," Asia Pacic Microwave Conference APMC'99 Microwaves Enter the 21st Century. Conference Proceedings (Cat. No.99TH8473), Vol. 2, 331-334, 1999.
14. Wu, Y. D., G. H. Li, W. Yang, and T. Mou, "A novel dual-band SIW filter with high selectivity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 60, 81-88, 2016.
15. Rezaee, M. and A. R. Attari, "A novel dual mode dual band SIW filter," 2014 44th European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 853-856, 2014.
16. Wsx, H. and Y. Wu, "Compact SIW dual-band bandpass filter using novel dual-resonance quasi- SIW-transmission-line-structure resonators," The Journal of Engineering, Vol. 2016, No. 8, 291-293, 2016.
17. Zhang, H., W. Kang, and W. Wu, "Miniaturized dual-band SIW filters using E-shaped slotlines with controllable center frequencies," IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 4, 311-313, 2018.
18. Shen, W., W. Y. Yin, and X. W. Sun, "Miniaturized dual-band substrate integrated waveguide filter with controllable bandwidths," IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 21, No. 8, 418-420, 2011.
19. Fathi, P., Z. Atlasbaf, and K. Forooraghi, "Compact dual-wideband bandpass filter using CSRR based extended right/left-handed transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 81, 21-30, 2018.
20. Li, W., Z. Tang, and X. Cao, "Design of a SIW bandpass filter using defected ground structure with CSRRs," Active and Passive Electronic Components, Vol. 2017, No. 1, 2017.
21. Mohammadi, P. and S. Demir, "Loss reduction in substrate integrated waveguide structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 46, 125-133, 2014.
22. Cassivi, Y., et al., "Dispersion characteristics of substrate integrated rectangular waveguide," IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 12, No. 9, 333-335, 2002.
23. Soundarya, G. and N. Gunavathi, "Low loss and high-power substrate integrated waveguide for high speed circuits," Microwave Journal, Vol. 63, No. 4, 1-7, 2020.
24. Zhang, Q. L., W. Y. Yin, S. He, and L. S. Wu, "Evanescent-mode Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) filters implemented with complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 419-432, 2011.
25. Khandelwal, M. K., B. K. Kanaujia, and S. Kumar, "Defected ground structure: Fundamentals, analysis, and applications in modern wireless trends," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2017, Article ID 2018527, 1-22, 2017.
26. Chang, I. and B. Lee, "Design of defected ground structures for harmonic control of active microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (IEEE Cat. No.02CH37313), Vol. 2, 852-855, 2002.