We present a capacitive wireless power transfer (C-WPT) system using rotating capacitors for wireless sensor system (WSS) on propulsion shaft. In order to supply stable power to the WSS consisting of four sensors, a controller, and a radio module, we designed the rotating capacitor connected in parallel with multiple plates that minimizes the change in capacitance of the power coupling capacitor of the C-WPT system. A Class-E converter and transformers topology are utilized to drive the C-WPT system for WSS. The fabricated C-WPT system transmitted stable power even when the rotational speed of the shaft was changed from 100 to 300 revolution per minute (rpm), and achieved power of 20.48 W and transmission efficiency of 64.29%.
2. Da Silva, G. G. and C. A. Petry, "Capacitive wireless power transfer system applied to low-power mobile device charging," International Journal of Electrical Energy, Vol. 3, No. 4, 230-234, December 2015.
3. Tran, D. H., V. B. Vu, and W. Choi, "Design of a high-efficiency wireless power transfer system with intermediate coils for the on-board chargers of electric vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 33, No. 1, 175-187, January 2018.
4. Campi, T., S. Cruciani, M. Feliziani, and A. Hirata, "Wireless power transfer system applied to an active implantable medical device," 2014 IEEE Wireless Power Transfer Conference, 134-137, 2014.
5. Narayanamoorthi, R., A. Vimala Juliet, C. Bharatiraja, P. Sanjeevikumar, and Z. M. Leonowicz, "Class E power amplifier design and optimization for the capacitive coupled wireless power transfer system in biomedical implants," Energies, Vol. 10, No. 9, 1409, September 2017.
6. Ludois, D. C., M. J. Erickson, and J. K. Reed, "Aerodynamic fluid bearings for translational and rotating capacitors in noncontact capacitive power transfer systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 50, No. 2, 1025-1033, 2014.
7. Dai, J. and D. C. Ludois, "Single active switch power electronics for kilowatt scale capacitive power transfer," IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Top. Power Electron., Vol. 3, No. 1, 315-323, 2015.
8. Lu, F., H. Zhang, and C. Mi, "A review on the recent development of capacitive wireless power transfer technology," Energies, Vol. 10, No. 11, 1752, November 2017.
9. Ludois, D. C., J. K. Reed, and K. Hanson, "Capacitive power transfer for rotor field current in synchronous machines," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 27, No. 11, 4638-4645, 2012.
10. Hagen, S., R. Knippel, J. Dai, and D. C. Ludois, "Capacitive coupling through a hydrodynamic journal bearing power rotating electrical loads without contact," 2015 IEEE Wireless Power Transfer Conference (WPTC), 1-4, 2015.
11. Yusop, Y., M. S. Md. Saat, S. H. Husin, S. K. Nguang, and I. Hindustan, "Performance assessment of class-E inverter for capacitive power transfer system," COMPEL --- The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 36, No. 4, 1237-1256, 2017.
12. Choi, S. and H. Choi, "Capacitive wireless power transfer system with double matching transformers for reduced stress and extended ZVS range," 2015 IEEE International Telecommunications Energy Conference (INTELEC), 1-6, 2015.
13. Power MOSFET, , www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/power/mosfet/.
14. IRF510S, SiHF510S Power MOSFET, , https://www.vishay.com/doc?91016.
15. DFG-8005 5 MHz DDS, , https://www.testermart.com/data/datadb/FLIR/DFG-8010,8020%20series KR.pdf.