In this paper, a textile based fractal monopole antenna is proposed with a defected ground structure for wearable application. The proposed antenna is designed on Flannel fabric with a thickness of 1 mm, which translates to 0.03λ at 10 GHz. The total dimensions of proposed antenna is 60 x 40 x 1 mm. The measured fractional bandwidth of the antenna is 110.1%. The proposed flannel based conductive ink antenna is characterized, and the results for washable fabric are illustrated. Both simulated and measured results are presented. The concept of application of low cost conductive ink on flannel fabric is demonstrated using conventional screen printing method. The antenna is characterized for commercial wash ability; the measurement results are invariant with the machine wash of the flannel fabric indicating robustness of the proposed method of fabrication of the antenna element.
2. Dey, S., M. S. Arefin, and N. C. Karmakar, "Design and experimental analysis of a novel compact and flexible super wide band antenna for 5G," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 46698-46708, 2021.
3. Manohar, M., U. K. Nemani, R. S. Kshetrimayum, and A. K. Gogoi, "A novel super wideband notched printed trapezoidal monopole antenna with triangular tapered feedline," 2014 International Conference on Signal Processing and Communications (SPCOM), 1-6, 2014.
4. Hasan, M. R., M. A. Riheen, P. Sekhar, and T. Karacolak, "Compact CPW-fed circular patch flexible antenna for super-wideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 10, 1069-1073, 2020.
5. Jalil, M. E., M. K. A. Rahim, N. A. Samsuri, N. A. Murad, N. Othman, and H. A. Majid, "On-body investigation of dual band diamond textile antenna for wearable applications at 2.45 GHz and 5.8 GHz," 2013 7th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 414-417, 2013.
6. Mao, C. X., D. Vital, D. H. Werner, Y. Wu, and S. Bhardwaj, "Dual-polarized embroidered textile armband antenna array with omnidirectional radiation for on-/off-body wearable applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 4, 2575-2584, 2019.
7. Da Conceicao Andrade, A., I. P. Fonseca, S. F. Jilani, and A. Alomainy, "Reconfigurable textile-based ultra-wideband antenna for wearable applications," 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-4, 2016.
8. Chahat, N., M. Zhadobov, L. Le Coq, and R. Sauleau, "Wearable endfire textile antenna for on-body communications at 60 GHz," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 799-802, 2012.
9. Benavides, B., R. A. Lituma, P. A. Chasi, and L. F. Guerrero, "A novel modified hexagonal shaped fractal antenna with multi band notch characteristics for UWB applications," 2018 IEEE-APS Topical Conference on Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications (APWC), 830-833, 2018.
10. Yang, H. and W. Yang, "An ultra-wideband microstrip antenna based on Koch fractal resonance unit and CSRRs defective ground unit," 2020 9th Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation (APCAP), 2020.
11. Sabban, A., "New fractal compact printed antennas," 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 2197-2198, 2017.
12. Qiang, J., F. Xu, and W. Fan, "Reducing mutual coupling of millimeter wave array antennas by fractal defected ground structure," 2018 12th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation and EM Theory (ISAPE), 1-3, 2018.
13. Sakthi, A., R. S. Nair, A. Alphones, and S. Raju, "Design and equivalent circuit analysis of textile antenna for WLAN and WBAN application," 2016 IEEE Region 10 Conference (TENCON), 1068-1074, 2016.
14. Hong, H., J. Hu, and X. Yan, "UV curable conductive ink for the fabrication of textile-based conductive circuits and wearable UHF RFID tags," ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, Vol. 11, No. 30, 27318-27326, 2019.
15. Siden, J., M. K. Fein, A. Koptyug, and H.-E. Nilsson, "Printed antennas with variable conductive ink layer thickness," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 2, 401-407, 2007.
16. Amendola, S., A. Palombi, and G. Marrocco, "Inkjet printing of epidermal RFID antennas by self-sintering conductive ink," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 66, No. 3, 1561-1569, March 2018.