This letter proposes a novel analysis and design method of a continuously adjustable bandpass combline filter. It investigates the feedline design specifications and introduces an external quality factor (Qext) tuning structure to achieve a constant fractional bandwidth over 60% tuning bandwidth. The design approach allows to determine the optimum feedline structure for the filter andis verified by full-wave simulation and measurement. The results show a constant fractional bandwidth of 4.5% over the entire operating frequency range between 225-400 MHz.
2. Jones, A. T. R. and M. Daneshmand, "Miniaturized folded ridged quarter-mode substrate integrated waveguide RF MEMS tunable bandpass filter," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 115837-115847, 2020.
3. Danilov, Y. Y., G. G. Denisov, M. A. Khozin, A. Panin, and Y. Rodin, "Millimeter-wave tunable notch filter based on waveguide extension for plasma diagnostics," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 42, No. 6, 1685-1689, 2014.
4. Polat, E., R. Reese, M. Jost, C. Schuster, M. Nickel, R. Jakoby, and H. Maune, "Tunable liquid crystal filter in nonradiative dielectric waveguide technology at 60 GHz," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 29, No. 1, 44-46, 2019.
5. Mansour, A. A. and T. S. Kalkur, "Switchable and tunable BAW duplexer based on ferroelectric material," IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, Vol. 63, No. 12, 2224-2230, 2016.
6. Renedo, M. S., R. G. Garcia, J. I. Alonso, and C. B. Rodriguez, "Tunable combline filter with continuous control of center frequency and bandwidth," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 1, 191-199, 2005.
7. Penalva, G. T., G. L. Risue~no, and J. I. Alonso, "A simple method to design wide-band electronically tunable combline filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 1, 172-177, 2002.
8. Kurudere, S. and V. B. Erturk, "Novel microstrip fed mechanically tunable combline cavity filter," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 23, No. 11, 578-580, 2013.
9. Renedo, M. S., "High-selectivity tunable planar combline filter with source/load-multiresonator coupling," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 7, 513-515, 2007.
10. Cameron, R. J., "General coupling matrix synthesis methods for Chebyshev filtering functions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 4, 433-442, 1999.
11. Cameron, R. J., "Advanced coupling matrix synthesis techniques for microwave filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 1, 1-10, 2003.
12. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2001.