An electronically reconfigurable reflectarray antenna of 12 × 12 units is presented in this paper. The element consists of a slotted square patch and a gapped metal square ring. PIN diodes are loaded on slotted square patches, which can be electronically controlled to produce two states with 180˚ phase difference. A reflectarray prototype is fabricated and experimentally studied. Experimental results agree well with the full-wave simulations by Ansys HFSS, and scanning beams within ±45˚ range are obtained with a maximum aperture efficiency of 14.9% at 5.8 GHz. 1-dB bandwidth is 9.9%, and 3-dB bandwidth is 19.1%.
2. Li, Y. and A. Abbosh, "Reconflgurable reflectarray antenna using single-layer radiator controlled by PIN diodes," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 9, 664-671, 2015.
3. Perruisseau-Carrier, J. and A. K. Skrivervik, "Monolithic mems-based reflectarray cell digitally reconfigurable over a 360˚ phase range," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 9, 5585-5595, Sept. 2021.
4. Wu, F., R. Lu, J. Wang, Z. H. Jiang, W. Hong, and K.-M. Luk, "A circularly polarized 1 bit electronically reconfigurable reflectarray based on electromagnetic element rotation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 9, 5585-5595, Sept. 2021.
5. Baracco, J.-M., P. Ratajczak, P. Brachat, J.-M. Fargeas, and G. Toso, "Ka-band reconfigurable reflectarrays using varactor technology for space applications: A proposed design," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 64, No. 1, 27-38, Feb. 2022.
6. Pan, X., F. Yang, S. Xu, and M. Li, "A 10 240-element reconfigurable reflectarray with fast steerable monopulse patterns," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 1, 173-181, Jan. 2021.
7. Yang, H., et al., "A 1-bit 10×10 reconfigurable reflectarray antenna: Design, optimization, and experiment," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 6, 2246-2254, Jun. 2016.
8. Xi, B., Y. Xiao, K. Zhu, Y. Liu, H. Sun, and Z. Chen, "1-bit wideband reconfigurable reflectarray design in Ku-band," IEEE Access, Vol. 10, 4340-4348, 2022.
9. Zhou, S.-G., et al., "A wideband 1-Bit reconfigurable reflectarray antenna at Ku-band," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 21, No. 3, 566-570, Mar. 2022.
10. Yu, S., L. Li, and N. Kou, "One-bit digital coding broadband reflectarray based on fuzzy phase control," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1524-1527, 2017.
11. Han, J., L. Li, G. Liu, Z. Wu, and Y. Shi, "A wideband 1 bit 12×12 reconfigurable beam-scanning reflectarray: Design, fabrication, and measurement," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 6, 1268-1272, 2019.
12. Wang, Z., et al., "1 bit electronically reconfigurable folded reflectarray antenna based on p-i-n diodes for wide-angle beam-scanning applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 9, 6806-6810, Sept. 2020.
13. Riel, M. and J.-J. Laurin, "Design of an electronically beam scanning reflectarray using aperture-coupled elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 5, 1260-1266, 2007.
14. Costanzo, S., F. Venneri, A. Raffo, and G. Di Massa, "Dual-layer single-varactor driven reflectarray cell for broad-band beam-steering and frequency tunable applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 71793-71800, 2018.