A high frequency device design and simulation results are reported for an 8 x 8 phased array of unit cells. Each unit cell comprises a (3 x 3) sub-array of 1/4 wave rod monopole radiators. Each unit cell is the basic building block that can be arranged to form 9 interpenetrating arrays. Each interpenetrating array comprises an independently addressable 8 x 8 array of 1/4 wave rod monopole radiators that fits into the lateral space of a single 8 x 8 array of patch radiators but can operate on 9 independent radio frequency channels within the same contiguous communication band without interference and can direct each radio frequency channel into independent directions simultaneously. The beamformer architecture, operation principle, and simulation results are presented and discussed, and an outline of its construction based on 2.5D integration is presented.
2. Mallik, R. K. and R. Murch, "Exact expressions for PAPR statistics in low number subcarrier multicarrier systems," IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, Vol. 9, 930-942, 2020, doi: 10.1109/LWC.2020.2974720.
3. Abulgasem, S., F. Tubbal, R. Raad, P. I. Theoharis, S. Lu, and S. Iranmanesh, "Antenna designs for CubeSats: A review," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 45289-45324, 2021, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3066632.
4. Henault, S. and Y. M. M. Antar, "Unifying the theory of mutual coupling compensation in antenna arrays," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 57, 104-122, 2015, doi: 10.1109/MAP.2015.2414514.
5. Saeed, N., A. Elzanaty, H. Almorad, H. Dahrouj, T. Y. Al-Naffouri, and M.-S. Alouini, "CubeSat communications: Recent advances and future challenges," IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, Vol. 22, 1839-1862, 2020, doi: 10.1109/COMST.2020.2990499.
6. Henault, S., "Analysis of planar array of 64 monopoles for over-the-horizon radar,", Scientic Report DRDC-RDDC-2018-R233, Defence Research and Development Canada, January 2019.
7. Henault, S., "Analysis of planar array of 256 monopoles for over-the-horizon radar,", Scientic Report DRDC-RDDC-2020-R123, Defence Research and Development Canada, November 2020.
8. Henault, S., "Improving auroral clutter rejection robustness in over-the-horizon radar," 2018 18th International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics (ANTEM), 2018, doi: 10.1109/ANTEM.2018.8573001.