A dual-band hexagon shape substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) based band pass filter with single loop complementary spilt ring resonators (CSRRs) is introduced in this paper. The design parameters of this filter are optimized by using artificial neural networks (ANNs). Especially error back propagation multilayer perceptron (EBP-MLP) neural network with Levenberg-Marquart (LM) algorithm is used. A physical prototype of the proposed model is fabricated and tested. In the lower passband from 10.2 to 10.6 GHz, the insertion loss is about -0.8 dB with a fractional bandwidth of 3.85%, and in the upper passband from 12.11 to 13.31 GHz, the insertion loss is about -0.8 dB with a fractional bandwidth of 9.56%. It is observed that the insertion loss is same in both the passbands. The obtained experimental results are in good agreement with the estimated results using full-wave analysis and ANN optimization.
2. Ananya, P., P. Athira, and S. Raghavan, "Miniaturized band pass filter in substrate integrated waveguide technology," International Journal of Engineering & Technology, Vol. 7, No. 3.13, 95-98, 2018.
3. Krushna Kanth, V. and S. Raghavan, "EM design and analysis of a substrate integrated waveguide based on a frequency-selective surface for millimeter wave radar application," J. Comput. Electron., Vol. 18, 189-196, 2019.
4. Krushna Kanth, V. and S. Raghavan, "Ultra thin wide band slot and patch FSS elements with sharp band edge characteristics," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 107, 1365-1385, 2020.
5. Krushna Kanth, V. and S. Raghavan, "A novel Faraday-cage inspired FSS shield for stable resonance performance characteristics," International Journal of Electronics Letters, Vol. 8, 60-69, 2020.
6. Hamidkhani, M., R. Sadeghi, and M. Karimi, "Dual-band high Q-factor complementary split-ring resonators using substrate integrated waveguide method and their applications," Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 2019, 11, 2019.
7. Hao, Z., K. Wei, and W. Wen, "Dual-band substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filter utilizing complementary split ring resonators," Electronics Letters, Vol. 54, 85-87, 2018.
8. Park, W.-Y. and S. Lim, "Bandwidth tunable and compact BandPass Filter (BPF) using Complementary Split Ring Resonators (CSRRS) on Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW)," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17-18, 2407-2417, 2010.
9. Li, D., J.-A. Wang, Y. Yu, Y. Liu, Z. Chen, and L. Yang, "Substrate integrated waveguide-based complementary split-ring resonator and its arrays for compact dual-wideband bandpass filter design," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 31, e22504, 2021.
10. Chaudhury, S. S., S. Awasthi, and R. K. Singh, "Dual passband filter based on semi circular cavity substrate integrated waveguide using complementary split ring resonators," IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conference (AEMC), 1-2, Aurangabad, India, 2017.
11. Yan, T. and X.-H. Tang, "Substrate integrated waveguide dual-band bandpass filter with complementary modified split-ring resonators," IEEE International Wireless Symposium (IWS 2015), 1-4, Shenzhen, China, 2015.
12. Geng, Q. F., H. J. Guo, Y. Y. Zhu, W. Huang, S. S. Deng, and T. Yang, "A novel dual-band filter based on single-cavity CTSRR loaded triangular substrate-integrated waveguide," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 11, 894-898, 2019.
13. Wei, F., H. J. Yue, J.-P. Song, H. Y. Kang, and B. Li, "Half-mode SIW BPF loaded with S-shaped complementary spiral resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 77, 13-18, 2018.
14. Chen, X.-G., G. H. Li, Z. Shi, and S. D. Feng, "Compact SICC dual-band and UWB filters using multimode technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 92, 69-74, 2020.
15. Zhang, Q.-J., K. C. Gupta, and V. K. Devabhaktuni, "Artificial neural networks for RF and microwave design - From theory to practice," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 4, 1339-1350, 2003.
16. Rayas-Sanchez, J. E., "EM-based optimization of microwave circuits using artificial neural networks: The state-of-the-art," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 1, 420-435, Jan. 2004.
17. Angiulli, G., E. Arnieri, D. De Carlo, and G. Amendola, "Feed forward neural network characterization of circular SIW resonators," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, San Diego, CA, USA, 2008.
18. Tabatabaeian, Z. S. and M. H. Neshat, "Design investigation of an X-band SIW H-plane band pass filter with improved stop band using neural network optimization," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 30, No. 10, 1083-1088, 2015.
19. Du, G.-Y. and L. Jin, "Neural network of calibrated coarse model and application to substrate integrated waveguide filter design," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 10, e22374, 2020.
20. Amir, B. and B. S. Masoud, "Optimal design of double folded stub microstrip filter by neural network modelling and particle swarm optimization," Journal of Microwaves, Optoelectronics and Electromagnetic Applications, Vol. 11, 204-213, 2012.
21. Xiao, L., W. Shao, F. Jin, B. Wang, W. T. Joines, and Q. H. Liu, "Semi supervised radial basis function neural network with an effective sampling strategy," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 68, 1260-1269, 2020.