In this work, a permittivity tuning method using a reconfigurable substrate block is presented. The ratio of two substrate blocks with different permittivities is proved to construct a new permittivity level. This method is validated on a microstrip line, where the theory and simulation show a good agreement with a maximal permittivity calculation difference of less than 5%. In the implementation, only two pieces of substrate blocks with high and low permittivity levels respectively are needed, and it can be utilized for future flexible microwave tuning design.
2. Hu, F., J. Song, and T. Kamgaing, "Modeling of multilayered media using effective medium theory," 19th Topical Meeting on Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging and Systems, 225-228, 2010.
3. Holloway, C. L., M. S. Sarto, and M. Johansson, "Analyzing carbon-fiber composite materials with equivalent Layer models," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 47, No. 4, 833-844, Nov. 2005.
4. Bao, Y. and J. Song, "Effective medium model for multilayered anisotropic media with different orientations," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 32, No. 6, 2017.
5. Dahl, D., S. Müller, and C. Schuster, "Effect of layered media on the parallel plate impedance of printed circuit boards," 2014 IEEE Electrical Design of Advanced Packaging & Systems Symposium (EDAPS), 29-32, 2014.
6. Castro, L. and S. Saitoh, "Fractional functions and their representations," Complex Analysis & Operator Theory, Vol. 7, No. 4, 1049-1063, 2013.
7. Gupta, K. C., R. Garg, and I. J. Bahl, Microstrip Lines and Slot-Lines, Artech House, Dedham, 1979.
8. Wheeler, H. A., "Transmission-line properties of parallel strips separated by a dielectric sheet," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 13, No. 2, 172-185, 1965.
9. Collin, R., "Field theory of guided waves," Physics Today, 1961.
10. Verma, A., C. Fumeaux, and B. D. Bates, "Modified Getsinger's model for accurate determination of effective permittivity dispersion in multilayered microstrip lines," 2010 International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications, 325-328, 2010.
11. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
12. Benali, L. A., J. Terhzaz, and A. Tribak, "2D-FDTD method to estimate the complex permittivity of a multilayer dielectric materials at Ku-band frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 91, 155-164, 2020.
13. Liang, C. H., X. W. Wang, and X. Chen, "Inverse Joukowski mapping," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 19, 113-125, 2010.
14. Joshi, A. and R. Singhal, "Vertex-fed hexagonal antenna with low cross-polarization levels," Information and Communication Technologies and Services, Vol. 17, No. 2, 138-145, Jun. 2019.
15. Tran, X. L., J. Vesely, and F. Dvorak, "Optimization of nonuniform linear antenna array topology," Information and Communication Technologies and Services, Vol. 16, No. 3, 341-349, Sep. 2018.
16. Mishra, B. V. and R. Singh, "Gap coupled dual-band petal shape patch antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Information and Communication Technologies and Services, Vol. 16, No. 2, 185-198, Jun. 2018.