In this article, a metamaterial-inspired decagon-shaped antenna was designed with the dimensions of 30 x 30 x 1.6 mm3 for the vehicular applications that fall under GPS (Global Positioning System), LTE (Long-Term Evolution), UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunication System), WLAN (Wireless Local Area Network), Wi-Fi (Wireless Fidelity), INSAT (Indian National Satellite), etc. Initially, a conventional decagon-shaped monopole antenna was designed for the frequency of 4.5 GHz. Then, a decagon-shaped metamaterial unit cell was designed for the frequencies of 1.5 GHz, 2.4 GHz, and 3.5 GHz which were inspired on the monopole antenna to obtain the desired passbandcharacteristics under vehicular bands. All the simulations were done in the ANSYS High-Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS) 2019 R2 version. In order to determine the metamaterial characteristics of the proposed unit cell, Scattering Parameter Retrieval Method has been used, and the values of permeability have been obtained through MATLAB. Further to examine the antenna performance in vehicular communication, it is placed on the rooftop and front side of the car model in simulation and on a physical car. Return loss characteristics were observed in the simulation as well as in the open space measurement, and the radiation pattern is analyzed with the SBR+ (Shooting and Bouncing Rays) method. The gain and radiation efficiency of the antenna get increased when it is mounted on the car model which is beneficial for the proposed application.
2. Phan-Huy, D. T., M. Sternad, T. Svensson, W. Zirwas, B. Villeforceix, F. Karim, and S. E. El-Ayoubi, "5G on board: How many antennas do we need on connected cars?," IEEE Globecom Workshops, 1-7, 2016.
3. Phan-Huy, D. T., M. Sternad, and T. Svensson, "Making 5G adaptive antennas work for very fast moving vehicles," IEEE Intelligent Transportation System Magazine, Vol. 7, No. 2, 71-84, 2015.
4. Xie, Y., F. C. Chen, and J. F. Qian, "Design of integrated duplexing and multi-band filtering slot antennas," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 126119-126126, Jul. 3, 2020.
5. Ali, T. and R. C. Biradar, "A compact multiband antenna using λ/4 rectangular stub loaded with metamaterial for IEEE 802.11 N and IEEE 802.16 E," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 5, 1000-1006, May 2017.
6. Deka, P. and A. De, "Design of fractal antenna for multiband operation in communication and healthcare," 2021 2nd Global Conference for Advancement in Technology (GCAT), 1-4, IEEE, Oct. 1, 2021.
7. Boopathi Rani, R. and S. K. Pandey, "A CPW-fed circular patch antenna inspired by reduced ground plane and CSRR slot for UWB applications with notch band," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 4, 745-749, Apr. 2017.
8. Choudhury, A. and S. Maity, "Design and fabrication of CSRR based tunable mechanically and electrically efficient band pass filter for K-band application," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 72, 134-148, Feb. 1, 2017.
9. Rajasri, S. and R. Boopathi Rani, "Analysis of unit cell with and without splits for understanding metamaterial property," Futuristic Communication and Network Technologies, 627-635, Springer, Singapore, 2022.
10. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, Dec. 28, 2015.
11. Bilotti, F., A. Toscano, and L. Vegni, "Design of spiral and multiple split-ring resonators for the realization of miniaturized metamaterial samples," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 8, 2258-2267, Aug. 8, 2007.
12. Kraus, J. D., R. J. Marhefka, and A. S. Khan, Antennas and Wave Propagation, Tata McGraw-Hill Education, 2006.
13. Kim, I. K., H. Wang, S. J. Weiss, and V. V. Varadan, "Embedded wideband metaresonator antenna on a high-impedance ground plane for vehicular applications," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 61, No. 4, 1665-1672, Feb. 28, 2012.
14. Cao, Y. F., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "A multiband slot antenna for GPS/WiMAX/WLAN systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 3, 952-958, Jan. 9, 2015.
15. Rama Rao, T., "Design and performance analysis of a penta-band spiral antenna for vehicular communications," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 96, No. 3, 3421-3434, Oct. 2017.
16. Paul, P. M., K. Kandasamy, and M. S. Sharawi, "A tri-band slot antenna loaded with split ring resonators," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 10, 2638-2643, Oct. 2017.
17. Madhav, B. T. and T. Anilkumar, "Design and study of multiband planar wheel-like fractal antenna for vehicular communication applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 8, 1985-1993, Aug. 2018.