The design procedure for UWB balun realized in the microstrip technology is proposed in the paper. The procedure applies Artificial Neural Network which corrects the dimensions of the approximate design found by appropriate scaling of the dimensions of the prototype. The scale coefficients for longitudinal and transverse dimensions of microstrip lines are determined from electromagnetic modeling based on transmission line equations. The scaling procedure of radial stubs is also proposed. The design procedure was verified experimentally for exemplary balun with radial stub.
2. Koziel, S., S. Ogurtsov, W. Zieniutycz, and A. Bekasiewicz, "Design of a planar UWB dipole antenna with an integrated balun using surrogate-based optimization," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 366-369, 2015.
3. Zhang, Q. J., K. C. Gupta, and V. K. Devabhaktuni, "Artificial neural networks for rf and microwave design --- From theory to practice," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 4, 1339-1350, 2003.
4. Cao, Y., S. Reitzinger, and Q. J. Zhang, "Simple and efficient high-dimensional parametric modeling for microwave cavity filters using modular neural network," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 21, No. 5, 258-260, 2011.
5. Gibbings, J. C., Dimensional Analysis, Springer-Verlag, Londyn, UK, 2011.
6. Hart, G. W., Multidimensional Analysis, Springer-Verlag, Nowy Jork, USA, 1995.
7. Sorokosz, L. and W. Zieniutycz, "Electromagnetic modeling of microstrip elements aided with artificial neural network," 2020 Baltic URSI Symposium (URSI), 85-88, 2020.
8. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, 1998.
9. Wadell, B. C., Transmission Line Design Handbook, Artech House, Boston, USA, 1991.
10. Sorokosz, L., "Microwave baluns design with use of electromagnetic modeling and the aid of artificial neural networks,", PhD Dissertation, Gdansk University of Technology, 2016 (in Polish).
11. Gunel, T. and S. Kent, "Numerical modeling of microwave radial stub," Journal of Microwave Power and Electromagnetic Energy, Vol. 32, No. 4, 246-250, 1997.
12. Suh, Y. and K. Chang, "A wideband coplanar stripline to microstrip transition," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, No. 1, 28-29, 2001.
13. Beachkofski, B. K. and R. V. Grandhi, "Improved distributed hypercube sampling," 43rd AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, 22-25, Denver, USA, Apr. 2002.
14. Sorokosz, L. and W. Zieniutycz, "Estimation of a single balun parameters on the base of back-to-back measurements," 21st Int. Conf. on Microwave, Radar and Wireless Communications (MIKON), 2016.