In this paper, we present a dual-polarized, pattern reconfigurable, liquid metal dipole antenna. The proposed design consists of a pair of ±45° polarized reconfigurable dipole antennas, two vertically placed feeding structures with filtering branches, and a resin frame for injecting liquid metal to adjust pattern. By introducing the U-shaped structure, a better impedance matching performance is achieved in two bands. The polarization can be switched by injecting liquid metal into different dipole microfluidic channels. By controlling the liquid metal reflector around the magnetic dipole, the reconfigurable pattern of +45° polarized antenna can be realized at 0°, 180° and 90° on the plane of phi=90°, and the reconfigurable pattern of -45° magnetic dipole antenna can be achieved at 0°, 90° and 270° on the plane of phi= 0°. The basic antenna operates with linear polarization around 4.8 GHz. The VSWR is less than 1.5. In the radiation pattern of the antenna, the port isolations of the two crossing ports are S12 and S21. S21 port isolation is more than 35 dB. The antenna has good pattern reconfigurable characteristics, and the simulation results of the antenna indicate good radiation directivity. Moreover, the height of the proposed antenna is 0.625λ at 4.8 GHz. The good performance of the antenna makes it a candidate for base station systems below 5G sub-6 GHz.
2. Yang, X., Y. Liu, H. Lei, Y. Jia, and Z. Zhou, "A radiation pattern reconfigurable Fabry Pérot antenna based on liquid metal," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 11, 7658-7663, 2020.
3. Mubasher, F., S. Wang, X. Chen, and Z. Ying, "Study of reconfigurable antennas for MIMO systems,", IEEE, 2010.
4. Zhang, S., G. H. Huff, J. Feng, and J. T. Bernhard, "A pattern reconfigurable microstrip parasitic array," IEEE Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 10, 2773-2776, 2004.
5. Deo, P., A. Mehta, D. Mirshekar-Syahkal, and H. Nakano, "An HIS-based spiral antenna for pattern reconfigurable applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 196-199, 2008.
6. Duan, R. Z., "Research on reconstructed antenna technology based on beam switching,", Beijing University of Ports and Telecommunications, Beijing, 2019.
7. Nie, Z., H. Zhai, and L. Liu, "A dual-polarized frequency-reconfigurable low-profile antenna with harmonic suppression for 5G application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 6, 1228-1232, 2019.
8. Cai, X. T., A. G. Wang, and M. A. Ning, "Novel radiation pattern reconfigurable antenna with six beam choices," The Journal of China Universities of Posts and Telecommunications, Vol. 19, No. 2, 2012.
9. Geetha, M., K. Dhanalakshmi, and V. Vetriselvi, "A shape memory alloy bimorph-actuated switch for antenna reconfiguration," Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, Vol. 33, No. 7, 4426-4437, 2022.
10. Kumar, R. V., M. Vanitha, R. Thandaiah Prabu, and M. Bindhu, "Multiband miniaturisefrequency reconfigurable patch antenna using PIN diodes," Wireless Networks, Vol. 28, No. 6, 2485-2497, 2022.
11. Patela, S. K., S. P.Lavadiya, J. Parmar, K. Ahmed, S. A. Taya, and S. Das, "Low-cost, multiband, high gain and reconfigurable microstrip radiating structure using PIN diode for 5G/Wi- MAX/WLAN applications," Physics of Condensed Matter Physics B, Vol. 639, 413972, ELSEVIER, 2022.
12. Nguyen, T. K., S. K. Patel, S. Lavadiya, J. Parmar, and C. D. Bui, "Design and fabrication of multiband reconfigurable copper and liquid multiple complementary split-ring resonator based patch antenna," Waves in Random and Complex Media, 2022.
13. Huff, H. G., J. Feng, S. Zhang, and J. T. Bernhard, "A novel radiation pattern and frequency reconfigurable single turn square spiral microstrip antenna," Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 2, 57-59, IEEE, 2003.
14. Hossain, M. A., I. Bahceci, and B. A. Cetiner, "Parasitic layer based radiation pattern reconfigurable antenna for 5G communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 12, 6444-6452, 2017.
15. Nair, S. and M. J. Ammann, "Reconfigurable antenna with elevation and azimuth beam switching," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 367-370, 2010.
16. Yu, Z. and J. H. Liu, "Wideband and low-profile omnidirectional circularly polarized antenna with slits and shorting vias," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 686-689, 2015.
17. Massoud, A. T. and J. T. Bernhard, "A dualband dual-polarized steerable pattern reconfigurable antenna," 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, IEEE, 2015.