The design of a Complementary Split Ring Resonator (CSRR) embedded compact Asymmetric Coplanar Strip (ACS) fed monopole antenna is presented in this paper. By incorporating the ACS feed, a substantial reduction of 27% in antenna dimensions is achieved. Further miniaturization of 68.6% is obtained by embedding CSRR on the designed patch and a trapezoidal ground. The overall size of the antenna is 13.2 × 27 × 1.6 mm3, and it is printed on an FR4-epoxy substrate. The antenna operates with a resonant frequency of 3.6 GHz and a bandwidth of 3.3 GHz (3.2-6.5 GHz). Thus it is appropriate for sub-6 GHz 5G applications. It exhibits a return loss of -28 dB and a gain of 2.8 dBi at the resonant frequency. The antenna is fabricated, and the measured results match well with the simulated ones. Being a simple, cheap, and uniplanar structure, the proposed antenna can meet the requirements of a modern wireless communication system.
2. Singh, A. K., M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "Miniaturized multiband microstrip patch antenna using metamaterial loading for wireless application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 83, 71-82, 2018.
3. Varamini, G., A. Keshtkar, and M. N. Moghadasi, "Miniaturization of microstrip loop antenna for wireless applications based on metamaterial metasurface," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 83, 1434-8411, 2018.
4. Vallappil, A. K., B. A. Khawaja, M. K. A. Rahim, M. N. Iqbal, and H. T. Chattha, "Metamaterial-inspired electrically compact triangular antennas loaded with CSRR and 3 × 3 cross-slots for 5G indoor distributed antenna systems," Micromachines (Basel), 2022.
5. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "Microstrip antenna with complementary split ring resonator loaded ground plane for gain enhancement," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 2, 0895-2477, 2015.
6. Gupta, N., J. Saxena, K. S. Bhatia, and N. Dawadal, "Design of metamaterial-loaded rectangular patch antenna for satellite communication applications," Iranian Journal of Science and Technology, Transactions of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 43, No. 1, 2364-1827, 2018.
7. Pandeeswari, R., "Complimentary split ring resonator inspired meandered CPW-fed monopole antenna for multiband operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 80, 13-20, 2018.
8. Rammyaa, B. and K. S. Vishvaksenan, "CPW fed metamaterial loaded dual-band roof-top antenna for vehicular communications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 31, No. 8, 1096-4290, 2021.
9. Abbas, A. K. and S. Thangavelu, "Compact ACS-fed monopole antenna with CRR defect for triple band application," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 127, 1434-8411, 2020.
10. Pillai, P. N. and R. Pandeeswari, "A compact uniplanar ACS-fed metamaterial inspired dual band antenna for S-band and C-band applications," Applied Physics A, Vol. 128, No. 4, 1432-0630, 2022.
11. Vummadisetty, P. N. and A. Kumar, "Multi feed multi band uniplanar ACS fed antenna with N shape and inverted L shape radiating branches for wireless applications," Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 24, No. 4, 1432-1858, 2018.
12. Saurabh, A. K. and M. K. Meshram, "Compact sub-6 GHz 5G-multiple-input-multiple-output antenna system with enhanced isolation," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer --- Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 8, 2020.
13. Rajalakshmi, P. and N. Gunavathi, "Hexagonal split ring resonator enclosed circular split ring resonator inspired dual-band antenna for sub-6 GHz 5G NR and IEEE 802.11ba/be applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 115, 1-15, 2021.
14. Azim, R., A. M. H. Meaze, A. Affandi, M. M. Alam, R. Aktar, M. S. Mia, T. Alam, M. Samsuzzaman, and M. T. Islam, "A multi-slotted antenna for LTE/5G sub-6 GHz wireless communication applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 13, No. 5, 486-496, 2020.
15. Desai, A., R. Patel, T. Upadhyaya, H. Kaushal, and V. Dhasarathan, "Multiband inverted E and U shaped compact antenna for digital broadcasting, wireless, and sub 6 GHz 5G applications," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 123, 1434-8411, 2020.