This article presents a novel electrically small asymmetric coplanar strip (ACS) fed metamaterial inspired antenna for quad band operation. A metamaterial inspired open split ring resonator (OSRR) is the radiator which is fed using ACS to obtain four operating bands. The proposed antenna with a compact size of 18 mm × 15.5 mm × 1.6 mm is fabricated and tested. The experimental results are in good compliance with simulated ones. The proposed electrically small antenna has a radian sphere (ka) of 0.65 and achieves an average gain of 2.24 dBi with requisite radiation properties suitable for WiMAX and WLAN applications.
2. Davis, W. A., T. Yang, E. D. Caswell, and W. L. Stutzman, "Fundamental limits on antenna size: A new limit," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 11, 1297-1302, 2011.
3. Patel, R., A. Desai, and T. K. Upadhyaya, "An electrically small antenna using defected ground structure for RFID, GPS and IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/s applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 75, 75-81, 2018.
4. Erentok, A. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Metamaterial-inspired efficient electrically small antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 3, 691-707, 2008.
5. Joshi, J. G., S. S. Pattnaik, S. Devi, and M. R. Lohokare, "Electrically small patch antenna loaded with metamaterial," IETE Journal of Research, Vol. 56, No. 6, 373-379, 2010.
6. Itoh, T. and C. Caloz, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
7. Dalgaç, Ş., et al., "Metamaterial sensor application concrete material reinforced with carbon steel fiber," Modern Physics Letters B, Vol. 34, No. 10, 2050097, 2020.
8. Pandeeswari, R., "SRR and NBCSRR inspired CPW fed triple band antenna with modified ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 80, 111-118, 2018.
9. Shobana, M., R. Pandeeswari, and S. Raghavan, "Design of sub-6 GHz antenna using negative permittivity metamaterial for 5G applications," International Journal of System Assurance Engineering and Management, 1-13, 2022.
10. Naidu, P. V., A. Kumar, and R. Rengasamy, "Uniplanar ACS fed multiband high-gain antenna with extended rectangular strips for portable system applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 10, e21870, 2019.
11. Naidu, P. and A. Malhotra, "Design & analysis of miniaturized asymmetric coplanar strip fed antenna for multi-band WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 57, 159-171, 2015.
12. Kang, L., et al., "Compact ACS-fed monopole antenna with rectangular SRRs for tri-band operation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 16, 1112-1114, 2014.
13. Pillai, P. N. and R. Pandeeswari, "A compact uniplanar ACS-fed metamaterial inspired dual band antenna for S-band and C-band applications," Applied Physics A, Vol. 128, No. 4, 1-13, 2022.
14. Sharma, S. K., M. A. Abdalla, and R. K. Chaudhary, "An electrically small sicrr metamaterial-inspired dual-band antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 3, 573-578, 2017.
15. Boukarkar, A., et al., "Miniaturized single-feed multiband patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 2, 850-854, 2016.
16. Ameen, M. and R. K. Chaudhary, "Quad-band electrically small dual-polarized ZOR antenna with improved bandwidth using single-split ring resonators and spiral slots enabled with reflector for GPS/UMTS/WLAN/WiMAX applications," 2019 URSI Asia-Pacific Radio Science Conference (AP-RASC), IEEE, 2019.
17. Arora, C., S. S. Pattnaik, and R. N. Baral, "Performance enhancement of patch antenna array for 5.8 GHz Wi-MAX applications using metamaterial inspired technique," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 79, 124-131, 2017.